Advertisement
Remove

YOUNG AND OLD


Two months had passed since the initial stages of the Kingdom’s first city were being prepared. While most things were still in foundation stages, the Tower’s surroundings had changed drastically, and it had finally achieved the first stages of looking akin to an actual city. While everyone busied themselves with the Kingdom, Lynne and several others were on their toes, always inching toward the southern border of the formation, keeping an eye out for any oddities.

For some reason, Lynne felt his heart become exceptionally heavy today, causing him to be even more alert. Call it winds, premonition, or just a gut feeling, he trusted it wholly, increasing the number of patrols bordering south. Currently, he was standing atop a small hilltop with Thalia, eyes focused on the sandy desert at the horizon.

You really think they’ll attack today?” Thalia asked; ever since Lynne had burned his Mana and blood, she had kept somewhat of a distance between the two.

I don’t know,” Lynne replied honestly. “But I’d rather be caught wearing underwear and fight rather than be butt naked.”

“… why do I get a feeling you’d actually enjoy fighting naked?”

N-no way! That’s like, embarrassing and stuff.”

That grin of yours begs to differ.”

Khm, anyway, what have you been up to these days? Haven’t seen you much.” although Lynne spoke casually, Thalia’s body tensed up as she looked away.

Not much. Hey, are you sure you actually want to wage this war?”

Eeh… don’t ask me. Lately, all I’ve been doing is waging fucking wars.” Lynne reflected on the past three years of his life, causing his heart to immediately freeze. “It’s like every moron out there is getting a hard on for some wars, and for some reason I keep interjecting myself. I’ve already grown tired of them…”

It will be different this time.” Thalia said.

Different?”

You’ve never participated in a war where majority of forces are Grand Mages,” Thalia said as gentle gale blew her hair backward. “Ah, you’ll be fine. Your attainment in Space is decent.”

“… sorry.” he suddenly said, startling her.

Huh?”

Ha ha, what’s with that reaction? You keep forgetting that I’m actually pretty decent at reading people,” Lynne said, sighing. “I did grow up in the streets, you know?”

“… what’s that got to do with anything?”

You’ve been avoiding me.”

“…”

It’s fine, I think I get it,” Lynne said, turning toward her and smiling. “And, you can take your time. Whatever you decide to do, I won’t mind.”

“… you make it sound so casual,” Thalia said after a short silence. “You’d really be okay if I decided to break up and leave?”

Okay? Hell no,” Lynne chuckled. “But, then again, I would understand. I don’t get it myself, if I’m being honest,” Lynne said, looking at his hand. “I used to be like a frightened cub. Even a sign of conflict would have me wired up to tenth dimension. However, along the way, I’ve forgotten fear.” he paused for a moment, rising his head slowly toward the sky. “I used to cower, but now, without even thinking, I’m the first one to rush out. I can’t imagine it’s easy seeing me be like this.”

It’s not.” Thalia said. “But, I suppose it’s just a part of loving you. It would be pretty fun to break up, though, just to see your reaction.”

Ha ha,” Lynne chuckled bitterly, looking at her. “Can I guess your thoughts?”

That sounds creepy. Don’t.”

You’re already that broken. How would I dare do that? Huh, how close was I?”

“… you think you’re broken?” Thalia asked, expressionless.

I don’t,” Lynne shook his head. “Rather, I never felt so whole in my life. I’ll be honest with you Thalia,” Lynne said, lowering his head. “It’s hard to put into words how much I love you, so I won’t bother. In the end, it’d only end up shouting random ramble. In that way, I understand you. I can’t imagine how I’d feel seeing you throw yourself into fire on every single occasion.”

That’s not who I am.” Thalia suddenly interrupted him, her hand finding a way to his chin. He had grown a head taller than her over time. She smiled blissfully, her eyes somewhat teary. “I’m actually kind of hurt you even thought I’d leave you over something like that. I already said, didn’t I? It’s part of loving you. There are good times, like now, when we’re finally honest with each other without any barriers, there are funny times, there are sad times… I’ll take them all, as I know you will do the same for me. If you feel like throwing yourself into fire, go ahead. Just remember, I’m right behind you. If you’ll burn, I’ll burn with you. If you’ll laugh, I’ll laugh with you. If you’ll suffer, I’ll suffer with you. That’s what it means to be in love, no?”

“…” silence emerged as Lynne lowered his head, his forehead pressing against hers, his expression tranquil. Hah, honest? He thought for a moment.

A case of theft: this story is not rightfully on Amazon; if you spot it, report the violation.

If I was being honest, I’d have said I’d kill you if you left me. How close am I?” Lynne’s eyes jolted open, his expression startling.

Damn woman, you’re scary.” he mumbled.

And cute, right?”

“…”

What’s with that deadpan reaction?” Thalia’s eyes narrowed slightly.

Ha ha,” his hand found itself on her head, patting her gently. “I already told you. Everything about you, to me, is beyond words already.”

“… all I’m hearing is cheap excuses to not lose ‘cool points’.”

“… okay, you just went from scary to terrifying. Did you get some weird mind-reading Gift? Wait, is that why you’ve been avoiding me?! Did you peer into all my weird fetishes about you?!!”

“… yeah, we’ll have to rethink about who’s the terrifying one here.”

Some other time.” his expression mellowed as he kissed her gently, hardening shortly after. “It’s time you went back.”

But--”

It’s fine,” Lynne shook his head. “Go prepare others, and get ready to burn with me. You did promise after all.”

“… I didn’t mean literally.”

Hey, wait! No fair!”

Ha ha,” Thalia laughed as she stepped into a spacial vortex that appeared next to her. “Don’t give way. That’s all.”

“… hah,” he sighed as she disappeared. “You’re the only one I ever gave way to…”

Just as she disappeared, Lynne felt space around him lock in place, as the hilltop he was at was replaced with a plain, well-lit and empty chamber. A few meters apart from him was an old man wearing ordinary, ragged brown robes, his eyes as clear as sky, focused onto him. The moment his eyes met the old man’s, he felt pressure akin to ten thousand suns bear on him, but he endured forcibly even if his body was shaking.

Not bad,” the old man mumbled, stroking his white beard. “I can see why others kept bringing you up all the time.”

“… Patriarch, I take?” Lynne tilted his head sideways, smiling. “You look older than I imagined. And a bit uglier too.”

Ha ha, I can’t say I’m not. After all, age does that to you.”

Heh, then you should start considering what to write on your tombstone.”

Ah, I’ve known that for a long time, young lad.” the old man smiled amiably.

You’re awfully relaxed,” Lynne said. “I ought to take a page out of your book.”

Hmm, it’s just that I heard someone said they’ll bury my Clan so deeply no one will dare utter its name till the end of times.”

Hm, something like that did happen.” Lynne nodded casually. “Although I suppose you don’t like the sound of it as much as I do.”

What hatred do you have for my Clan, child?”

For Clan? Not much, if I’m being honest.” Lynne said casually.

I don’t believe our grievances are beyond the point of repair,” the old man spoke slowly. “I can’t say young Yunchi didn’t cross the line, but I didn’t take you for a childish man.”

“… eeh, my excuse has already been seen through?” Lynne scratched his hair nonchalantly, smiling. “I guess that old ones aren’t as easy to fool as prideful idiots, then.”

So, why did you declare war then?”

Aah, old man, you’re missing the point,” Lynne waved his hand. “Wasn’t the discussion over the eradication of your Clan? What’s this war got to do with it? You would have attacked us either way. I just let you know we’re ready, as to not have unfair advantage.”

Oh?” the old man arched his brows lightly. “That’s a bad move, strategy-wise. I don’t imagine your advisers were too keen on it.”

“…”

I can’t say for sure what you’re planning,” the old man’s eyes finally grew serious as he stared down Lynne. “But it looks like I was foolish to think of you as a simple child.”

No, no, you were totally right. I mean, look at me? How can I possibly outwit someone who’s older than the phrase ‘stuck in a rut’ itself? He he.”

“…”

As for your Clan’s fate,” Lynne’s eyes grew slightly colder. “I think you’ve already got a grasp on why. In the end, it’s just a collateral inevitability if I’m being honest. In the end, someone much older and grander than you did ask me to help them. You just happen to be on the other side of that help.”

“… you’ve met the Knowledge?” the Patriarch’s pose stiffened as his voice grew colder.

I’m impressed actually,” Lynne chuckled. “But, impressed or not has got little to do with your Clan’s fate. In the end, you just ought to disappear.”

You think we’ll just roll over?”

Could you? That would be just great! Would save me tons of trouble! Pretty please?”

“… we shouldn’t have thought of you as an irrelevant variable,” the old man’s expression sank slightly. “But, old mistakes do come and bite back from time to time. Still, if you had been patient and grew slightly stronger, you could have perhaps blindsided us. In the end, you’re still young.”

And, in the end, you’re still old.” Lynne replied in kind. “Oh, but I will be killing your Miss this time around. Just thought I’d let you know.”

You’d kill your own mother? You’re sure you’ve got it in you?”

Mother?” Lynne arched his brow. “Sorry to disappoint you.”

“’s that so…”

Besides,” Lynne’s smile appeared extremely vicious as he looked at the old man. “I imagine her heart is boiling at the moment.” This kid! “What madness will she dive into when we meet on the open battlefield, what do you think? The easiest dogs to kill are those that just jump at you the moment they see you. Well, it was nice meeting you, Patriarch. Had things gone differently, perhaps I’d be fighting for you now. Alas…”

Alas indeed, young lad…” the old man sighed, shaking his head. “You know too much for your own good. Just thought I’d let you know.”

Oh, don’t worry about that,” Lynne turned around, breaking the space lock next to him. “I know far more than you think… False One…”

YOU!!!” however, by the time shout left the old man’s throat, Lynne was gone, and the old man was back at the encampment next to the mountain, sweating profusely, his eyes wide and round. “This is bad… that kid… no, everyone there, they all must die,” the old man mumbled, suddenly looking around as if to confirm he’s alone. “No, even that might not be enough. Did they tell anyone? How the hell did they learn in the first place? Shit…” the old man’s body was shaking with fervor as his thoughts spun; he, too, had suddenly felt he had made a terrible mistake, one he felt would turn into an everlasting regret in the time to come.

Advertisement
Remove
A note from beddedOtaku

Hello guys, how's your night(day?) going? Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I probably won't be releasing chapter tomorrow as it's my birthday (23, damn, I'm gett---sorry). 

Anyway, that's all. Thank you guys for reading Skyfire Magus, and I hope you'll keep enjoying it :) 


Support "Skyfire Magus"

About the author

beddedOtaku

Bio: Launched a new blog--new blog, new me. That's how that goes, right?

Achievements
Comments(7)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In