Clockwork

by

VRDraco

Volume 3 Chapter 14 Shifting Gears


Advertisement
Remove
Checking the trashes memories worked to show just how pathetic he really was.

As a mechanic he was complete trash. All he had was a lot of tools giving him the class but he had low leveled skills for building.

That said his hacking was Basic level 9. If he had focused on this aspect he would have had it better. This was a perfect skill for assassins or hackers itself.

He could have made a hacker class making it even easier for himself but unfortunately he was brain dead and stupid and went with something convenient.

I try to access the skill or memories of his attempt and when i do videos begin showing him with some allies holding down a living drone of several types and him hacking into it as a training method.

The whole process passes through my eyes from the simplest to the most complex. It also seems he was stagnated at basic 9.

There seems to be requirements to surpass it. I never met that problem because i never stopped trying new stuff and i was always learning real world stuff.

Still as he suprasses level 6 in hacking i lose track of half the stuff he does and at level 7 i can't accompany him any more.

I seriously wonder how i broke through. Maybe it was his own fear that made him fuck up.

Anyway i stop watching and return to seeing the files that show his skills.

By watching another person with the skill Hacking and understanding what he did at a higher level than you. The skill Hacking levels up.


I was far from being surprised because i have done it before. During the beta phase i gained body construction and Tinkering levels from watching the memories if the mechanic i salvaged and memory chips are always being scanned for useful information.

As i breath a sigh i hear small footsteps outside and a familiar voice.

"Bro~~! You here?" Nova called with a scared voice.

"In here!" I call.

I hear her running and soon she appeared at the door peeking inside.

"It's safe now come here." I call.

She takes one look around and runs in and jumps at me.

I grab her and hold her there as she buries face.

We can't cry, and only if we make a face with enough plates and gears can we show emotions. Thinking about it clockworks are a rather sad race.

Still, that doesn't stop her from sniffling and showing her emotions.

With me being so large our size proportion made it seem as if we were still the same big bro and little sister.

I just let her get comfortable and quietly say "It's ok, it's safe bro is here."

After a bit she calms down i notice her main systems shutting down and falling asleep.

I can't help but smile, it's been like this since i can remember.

She would cry to the first one if something happened leaving her scared or sad and as she calms down she starts to fall asleep.

I knew she would wake up if i put her down so instead i bring in the tool drones.

A good number appear and one of my new ones also appear.

I was quick to make the trashes tools useable and so i made a tool gear drone. It was nearly three times the size of the normal one.

The original collectors were about the size of an adult human's hand so near the size of a tarantula. The tool drones were about 4 cm bigger so they could hand the tools weight. This one can't even be held on one hand.

Quite a large fellow for sure.

Anyway i was able to make two of these at the moment and with all the tools i gained from trash and from what scraps i can gain I will be able to make around twenty of these.

They are useful for large constructions but with size comes the limit known as space.

They can't get into tight spaces.

Anyway with two of them plus the many smaller drones i gather a lot of elemental metal i had prepared and scan my grenade launcher arm, the two arms furthest back, and get the proper measurements.

Then i have the drones begin cutting and working.

If it wasn't for the strong queen transmitter array i made for myself i would be having a lot of trouble controlling all of them because of the information that comes in from so many actions and eyes.

The way it works is i give each one orders to make each piece or connect a certain part.

When it is done i get a message for new orders.

In this system i can put the to work efficiently by leaving the part cutting to smaller drones and the construction of the main tool to the tool gear drones.

I worked slowly unlike that sword made by the drones.

Starting from the elbow, since i don't need more then the elbow down for the weapon, i start building the weapon.

The joints made to open up a passage was made easy by making it with many small gears. The skeleton was made in a structure to shift as with the weapon. It was made in sections that are locked in place in the hand form but split up and reveals many springs that made it look like a spine. This would work to absorb the recoil.

The skeleton down the parts and gears go in.

Several sections of a circular tube was put on the lower side of arm and would interlock to make the barrel.

The shifting gears around the arm were built to get out of the way from the middle and open the space.

The barrel went to the wrist like before.

Lastly i implemented the same principle as the assassins arm. The hand was constructed to open and become part of the gears below the wrist to help shoot the gun.

In other words while in arm mode the arm works perfectly but the gears needed for the gun lied in the hand. It completed the gun.

After an hour the gears of the first hand was done and the plate were put.

The plates were made in small sections and placed strategically so that when the arm changes to the gun form it would open up outwards allowing for the gears to shift around.

Looking at this gear i could only feel the clockwork turning into something similar to transformers.

Thinking that i could only smile wryly as i finish up both arms.

I slowly stand up so as not to wake Nova and pick up both arms and place them on the table behind the chair i was sitting in. I then turn my back to the table and the drones climb up.

I rest my two back arms on the table and i start having the drones remove the joint from my arm.

The arms were quickly removed removing even the joints.

I left what remains of my arm and let the drones drag it away and put the new one into place.

Several drones jumped inside and grabbed the wires and begins connecting the wires on the inside of the new ones. Soon i finish up and the new arms appear on my system.

With the wires attached i have the arms pushed closer and the drones inside the arm began attaching connections that would hold the arm.

The put the final gears that connect the arm and open a single plate on my shoulder and let the drones out.

I seal up the open shoulds and done new arms ready for action.

You have upgraded a pair of your arms with a new form of technology.

Increase to strength 4 stats
Increase to dexterity 7 stats

Features of the new arms
Form change:
Arm and hand [Pressure Fist]
Grenade Launcher


I start wide eyed at the massive increase in stats.

Seriously this kind of change from just that. Still this amount of change to Asura's stats is incredible. If i made a switch to Yasha's arms and more change into tools, larger tools, I could get a massive increase to dexterity.

As a craftsmen that would be awesome and it also benefits me when i use long range weapons and my ability with the swords.

As i examine my new arms i hear the sounds of heavy footsteps and soon Victor in his power suit carrying bulk appeared.

"Yo, brought bulk to upgrade. He said he would be out the rest of the day for us to upgrade him." Victor said.

Suddenly a grin filled with mischief appeared on his face.

"Say, what do you think. we get back at Bulk for hurting our pride as men." He says.

If i had eyebrows they would have raised.

"Do what...exactly?" I ask.

His grin evolves to a full on smirk showing all his teeth.

"Besides his actual upgrades this is the plan." He says and starts explaining.

I could barely maintain my pokerface to what was said. I agree to help but I have him call Brock who is in collage for this so he naturally knows more since he as trained more time with it.

He laughs loudly hearing our plan and decides to help.

We do go and upgrade bulk.

Before we began him i wanted to test out full body transforming.

I took Nova’s broken body. First i woke her up so she could leave. She didn’t want to leave so i told her to not to mess with the stuff that we were building yet.

We took her broken body and a quickly forged earth steel and started shaping them properly while i removed every gear from the small body leaving the skeleton.

As the parts were forged rapidly with Victor helping I let it cool and then hand over to the drones that slowly build the robot up.

After a day I finished up.

What stood was what looked like a little robot girl with rabbit ears that were actually antenna that increased scanner range.

The body could even be compared to a brown rabbit beast man.

The body itself was sleeker and the legs were rabbit like so she could run and jump even in this form.

I then made it do the shape change and it dropped to all fours and the arms changed to a rabbit's arm and the body fixed itself itself up with the legs a bit more to the side of the body making it easier to remain in the four legged position.

“God, we are making transformers now!” Victor said.

I call Nova and tell her to sit next to the rabbit.

I connect to the and take her codes and put it in the rabbit.

After a bit a message arrived.

[td4]With the natural weapon of a clockwork monk. Your gauntlets possess a built in gun within it that discharges with a command or when you punch.

Range 5 meter
Ammo type: Shell
Magazine: 6 (each arm)
You have made the Clockwork Nova Gear possess a set body between the Commander Sniper and Rabbit Monk.
Nova Gear has gained new class skills.
Hand to Hand combatBasic Level 1
You are Experienced in fighting with your fists and know where to hit to do more damage.

+5% damage when fighting with fists.
Hyper JumpBasic Level 1
You were made modeled after an agile rabbit. The legs were made to be even better and has granted even better agility and maneuverability.

With the power in the legs you can cover 25 meters in a single bound and without losing your balance you can instantly jump again.

Increases Damage caused by kicks 20%

Energy cost 40
Duration of skill 30 seconds
2 minute cooldown.[/tds]
Bullet PunchBasic Level 1
Gear Shift
Through a specific configuration of your gears. Your creator has given you the option to change gears in specific parts of your body.

This Gear shift will start with bigger gears meant for greater strength and with each progressive gear up to the final 5th gear the gear would be focused around agility.

Gear 1: 25% of agilities stat is converted into strength.
Gear 2: 10% of agilities stat is converted into strength.
Gear 3: Natural stats.
Gear 4: 10% of strength stat is converted into agility.
Gear 5: 25% of strength stat is converted into agility.

Stats conversion depends on the gears used for shifting.

This content has been unlawfully taken from Royal Road; report any instances of this story if found elsewhere.


Can’t change gear while in movement. MUST be stationary for gear shift.
If done in movement, it will cause a 1 second stun and damage to gears with high chance of breaking off limbs due to breaking of great number of gears.

Incorrect changing of gears can cause destruction of limbs.
Mistaken changes of gears will cause damage proportionate to the stress of placed on the gear.
Body Shift
A skill that comes with the shifting technology. Depending on how you are built you can change your body to a certain predetermined shape or form as well as form a set weapon.

Current body form
Human
Rabbit

Current weapons
Arm Gauntlets


My eyes were wide when I saw there was a new class. The rabbit reference was to be expected but the class skills were a far cry from what I expected.

I did make the body thinking about future fights and how Nova needs a close up bodyguards so who better than herself.

The gauntlet gun I made because of the idea of the boxing rabbit. Combining the speed generated by the jump it would get with even more advanced suspension system created by the shifting tech and the discharge from the shotgun shell in the gauntlets. I seriously expect Nova to be comparable to a level 100 now.

What was a real shocker though was the gear shift. I did think of it as a boost to try and to make her quicker but to have an effect like this. I could say that i was more than surprised.

“WOW BRO!! THIS NEW BODY IS COOL!” She shouts as the rabbit slowly transforms back into the half human form.

“Guess it was a success.” Victor said clapping his hands like you do when you finish a job.

“Let me check your stats Nova.” I tell her.

“OH! Mind if I take a peek at the stats of the new bot.” Victor asked.

I thought a bit before nodding. He did help make it so i will let him see just the rabbit one.

Status
NameNova GearRaceClockwork
ClassRabbit MonkLevel:89
Free stats points263
Durability1625/1625Durability RegNone
Energy (Battery)400/400Energy Reg:0.2 per/s
Strength105Agility195
Dexterity159Toughness107
Intelligence140Wisdom189
Charisma78Leadership20
Luck200
[tr]
Skills
Clockwork body constructionBasic Level 4
Being of the Clockwork race you instinctively know how to make parts for your body

+7% increase in ability when making a body or body part
ScavengerBasic Level 5
Able to find useful scraps and parts from trash.

Increases chance to find something by 9%
TinkerBasic Level 8
You have the natural skill to tinker with any machine.
5%Increases ability when tinkering with a machine
Dwarven BlacksmithingBasic level 1The most coveted blacksmithing art. The techniques of the dwarves are passed on in the family and even after the industrial age appeared it was still at the top for being able to make higher quality goods than industrial goods.

The techniques this form implies are all primitive but can easily be adapted to any form of blacksmithing and to many different conditions. Even when using a poorly made clay forge you can produce good quality metal items.

In the past it was kept a trade secret kept under tight guard. It was once even considered a race only art that only dwarves could learn because of their open minds towards blacksmithing. Today though with so few people remaining to keep the art alive, the arts were spread among those the dwarves and to those they trust, or if ever a need great enough arises that warrants the trade of the arts.

+10% when blacksmithing anything.
MarksmanshipIntermediate Level 6
The art of shooting a gun and hit your target with precision.

+20% damage when using a firearm of any kind.
+18% increase in precision with your shot when using a gun.
Machine weapon buildingBasic Level 5
You know your way around with your tools to the point of being able to make weapons that can be added directly to your body.

+5% increase in ability when making a machine weapon (weapons that attach directly onto robots and follow system orders)
SnipeBasic Level 9
A skill that increases the precision of the next shot done by a fire arm. It also makes it easier to aim.

+9% precision to long range weapons for firearms.
+9% damage to long range shots caused by firearms.
Small Craft PilotBasic 8
The skill for those who venture the skies on small crafts.

This skill improves you handling of a ship smaller than 2 meters long and makes understanding basic maneuvers and slightly advanced one, easier.

+15% better control of small crafts you are riding.
+10% better understanding of airborne maneuvers.
Hand to Hand combatBasic Level 1
You are Experienced in fighting with your fists and know where to hit to do more damage.

+5% damage when fighting with fists.
Hyper JumpBasic Level 1
You were made modeled after an agile rabbit. The legs were made to be even better and has granted even better agility and maneuverability.

With the power in the legs you can cover 25 meters in a single bound and without losing your balance you can instantly jump again.

Increases Damage caused by kicks 20%

Energy cost 40
Duration of skill 30 seconds
2 minute cooldown.
Bullet PunchBasic Level 1
With the natural weapon of a clockwork monk. Your gauntlets possess a built in gun within it that discharges with a command or when you punch.

Range 5 meter
Ammo type: Shell
Magazine: 6 (each arm)
Gear Shift
Through a specific configuration of your gears. Your creator has given you the option to change gears in specific parts of your body.

This Gear shift will start with bigger gears meant for greater strength and with each progressive gear up to the final 5th gear the gear would be focused around agility.

Gear 1: 25% of agilities stat is converted into strength.
Gear 2: 10% of agilities stat is converted into strength.
Gear 3: Natural stats.
Gear 4: 10% of strength stat is converted into agility.
Gear 5: 25% of strength stat is converted into agility.

Stats conversion depends on the gears used for shifting.

Can’t change gear while in movement. MUST be stationary for gear shift.
If done in movement, it will cause a 1 second stun and damage to gears with high chance of breaking off limbs due to breaking of great number of gears.

Incorrect changing of gears can cause destruction of limbs.
Mistaken changes of gears will cause damage proportionate to the stress of placed on the gear.


“Oi...why the hell is her stats so good. AND WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THIS GEAR SKILL!!” Victor suddenly shouted.

“Yeah...OP.” I say with a conflicted thought.

“This tech...will seriously blow things out of proportions. I wonder how long it will take before other players think of this.” Victor said.

“Real world...engineers might...think of...it.” I tell him and he nods.

“Hey bro. This feel so nice. Can i go play?” Nova asks.

“Depends...play how?” I ask worried.

“You know how all the guys at the gate do. I want to fight the dino thingys.” She said.

I thought a while and looked towards Bulk.

“Can you wait for us to upgrade?” I ask her and point to Bulk.

I was also planning to upgrade Asura and help Victor.

“AHH...ok. I’ll wait bro.” She says sulking.

I could only smile wryly and pat both of her.

“I’ll hang out for a day with you once we are done ok.” I tell her.

She brightens up and it's clearly visible on her tiny rabbit like face as she smiles. He ears also start to move. I guess i did it just right to make her emotions easier to see through her body language. This way I will be able to notice if she is sad easier.

I let her go off but only the sniper body and leave the rabbit here because i was still going to change a few things.

The battery was to weak for her now. With the hyper jump plus the energy needed to run the body moving so fast.

Luckily she wasn’t so small for the batteries made by the cores. The cores need 5 batters to complete itself and a test showed it had 1000 energy so it was a compacted battery which is very convenient at this moment.

I also want to put the electronic engine in Nova so that i can remove the water and steam tanks. As a rabbit i would guess speed is vital. I also need to make the shells for her gauntlet. I really can’t wait to see how she will fight.

For some reason I can only imagine her laughing in glee as she punches the dino robot's.

A small shiver runs down my back for some reason but i push it out of my head as we being Bulks improvements.

We are decreasing his size from two and a half meters to 230 cm but in its place his whole body will gain shifting tech and will gain a shifted animal for like Nova instead of simply dropping to all fours and awkwardly running. We also plan to put a gear shift for him. It will work nicely for him due to him being a heavy fighter.

The speed boost will be interesting to see on him.

As for Asura, i want to take things a step forward and add three forms to the hands including the sword form.

Welp, let's “upgrade” bulk. Can’t wait to see him log in.
Advertisement
Remove

About the author

VRDraco

  • Den's Great Dungeon Lord

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(21)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In