Advertisement
Remove

We’re running back to the library, me and another boy that stayed after the meteors. We were scouting some of the fallen buildings for remnants of people, also doing some recon to see if anyone is alive. We accidentally drew attention to some of the monsters in the vicinity and now are trying to get back to safety. We’re just about back when I trip and fall into a pit someone had dug. When I get to my feet I search around at the bottom, there’s two monsters standing there eating away at each other. They’re need to bite and feed on flesh knows no bounds. I back away to the wall, search for a way out. Nothing, the wall is flat with no foot holes to help climb. The two monsters start to come towards me (Is this nightmare finally over?) I ask myself. “Take my hand” someone yells to me overhead. I look up to see a hand stretch down towards me, without hesitation I grab a hold.

 

I open my eyes to the roof of my tent over me. The wind rushing past it and the trees whispering to us. I can see the dim light hitting on the fabric in front of me. Something heavy is in my hands, I jerk my head to see what’s on it. Alexia is sitting at my side, holding onto my hand.

I reach my other hand up and wipe some of the sweat off my face. “Are you alright? Do you have a fever?” She asks looking worried over me, what a pleasant thing to wake up to.

“I’m alright, plus I wouldn’t be sweating if I had a fever” I respond back. “But your hand is really warm” she shoots back. I snicker “you enjoying holding my hand there, anyway my body radiates a lot of heat as it is”.

She blushes and quickly lets go of my hand, “N-no, I was j-just worried” she stammers out, too cute. “Thanks but really I’m fine” I say again.

“Then, was it a nightmare?” she asks me. I sigh, “Wasn’t so much of a nightmare as just a bad dream”. “Oh, do you have them often?” she insisted on going to know more, not that I minded.

I put my hand that’s on the opposite side of her behind my head, and let out some air “ they started happening around two months after the meteors fell and with everything happening. Probably just a way my mind’s trying to cope with what’s happened around me. But they started to get worse when I was alone, guess being alone put even more stress on my mind” I stop for a second to look at Alexia. She looks worried, mixed in with wanting to know more but not wanting to press more. “Pfft” I crack a smile, I grab her hand though she seems hesitant as to keep holding it.

Unlawfully taken from Royal Road, this story should be reported if seen on Amazon.

“They’ve subsided quite a bit after meeting you guy. You don’t have to worry about me, only yourself. I will always be there for you, and that is the only emotional pillar I need” I say with a serious look. “I, I don’t know how to respond” she wavers.

“There’s no need to, I didn’t expect an answer. Only for you to know, anyways what exactly are you doing in here?” I ask teasingly.

“I,I um… was trying to pay you back for the other day” she’s blushing “then I saw you looked discomfortable and became worried” she hangs her head a little. “I’m alright, it’s okay. Anyway, we should be getting up and out. I’m assuming they’re both asleep, I’d love to see Helen’s face to you sneaking into my tent” I softly laugh towards her.

I exit the tent to find no one outside, I tilt my head “Where they at?” I look over to Alexia who’s just now getting out of my tent. “Oh, I pushed them to use my tent” she replied.

“And you left us unguarded” I sound disappointed. “I, um… we should be able to hear anything before we see it” she stumbles on her words. I tilt my head back, “Yes, that could be true” I look into her eyes “But this world is unforgiving, we can’t take any chances. So not again, don’t do that”. She seems uneasy, “I’m s-sorry, I won’t do it again” she looks like she’s headed towards looking like she’s about to cry. I walk back towards her and hold her head with both hands just under her ears, “no no, I’m not mad at you. We just have to be cautious” I look into her eyes and she nods. “Okay” I let go and walk back to the fire.

 

“Okay, we’ll be reaching the river today. We’ll probably spending a bit of time trying to find a way across it though. But in saying this, I want you to put what the needs to stay dry into the waterproof bags now since we have them out already.” Doug commands to us. I stuff almost half my pack into the bag, medical supplies, food, the last clean pair of clothes I’m saving, etc.

We head out once everything is organized. Everything looks close to the same other than a few different types of trees every once in awhile. After several hours we stop for lunch. Doug studies the map while eating.

“We should be entering a clearing with the river inside, just about two hours from here” He seems to be talking to himself. He folds the map up and places it back into the waterproof bag.

Sure enough, a little later after walking through the forest. We enter in beneath the cloudy grey sky, and a calm big river straight in front of us. We stop, “We’ll want to head South down the river while trying to find a place to cross” Doug looks at the compass and points south, we begin to walk.

After around another hour we come across a old looking bridge.

Advertisement
Remove

Support "Trek Into The Woods"

About the author

mmediacentral

Bio: Life is a story, some can tell it better than others.

Achievements
Comments(0)
Log in to comment
Log In