Advertisement
Remove
A traveler to the shores of Vesteria, the continent West of the Homelands, would come across many strange and beautiful creatures. Even among this bizarre menagerie of beasts the harpy stands out due to its startling and disturbing appearance.

At first glance the harpy appears to be a large bird of prey. They are forest creatures but are most commonly seen soaring through the air off in the distance with their lengthy feathered wings extended. Since harpies rarely allow humans to get closer than this, unless they are hunting them, this confusion is understandable.

Like a bird they also have a sleek grey and white feathered body, and two rear legs that end in curved talons. Adults range in size anywhere from four to four and a half feet in height, but they can appear larger when their wings are extended.

Closer inspection however will quickly reveal features that exclude the beasts from the bird family. Most obviously the harpy has no beak, but possesses a toothy maw instead. It also has two large fore claws that extend forth from its wings. These claws are used for both climbing, and defending itself.

Together along with the hair like black crest on their heads these traits give the harpy an unsettlingly humanlike appearance.  The bodies of harpies have a graceful feminine shape, and when calm their faces are intelligent and even beautiful. However, when they grow excited or angry they open their mouths and their visages grow vicious and wrinkled. The transformation can be startling.

These features place the winged raptors firmly among the ancient family of saurians. As the reader is undoubtedly aware the other notable member of this family that survives in Vesteria is the great drake. The resemblance may not be immediately apparent but like harpies drakes possess feathers, scaly skin, two sets of claws, and a mouth full of teeth.

Harpies are social creatures capable of a wide range of vocal communication. They are even able to mimic other animals or human voices, an ability they use to taunt prey and lure it closer. Mainly however they communicate amongst themselves using shrill bird like cries.

Flocks of harpies gather together and create large communal nests on cliffs or above the forest canopy in particularly tall trees.  These structures are constructed using mud, dried plants, and branches. Usually, these communal nests are a collection of muddy domed spheres. This provides the flock with warm shelter and protects their young from predators, other harpies, and the harsh winters of northern Vesteria.

Most of a flock’s nourishment comes from small animals such as rabbits and earth dogs, but they will also hunt larger prey. Frequently, these winged beasts hunt in loose flights of three to six members. They will split up and fly through the canopy looking for suitable targets. When one of the flight finds something it will signal its partners using innocent sounding noises that won’t alert its prey.

If you find this story on Amazon, be aware that it has been stolen. Please report the infringement.


They will then silently converge on the target and use their cries and mimicry to lure their prey into a disadvantaged position or to isolate it from the rest of its herd. Once they are reasonably sure of success the winged beasts will descend on their prey and tear it apart. Harpies will then carry chunks of their meal up to high branches where they are safe from other predators.  This often results in grisly scenes where blood is splattered across and below the nearby trees.

The ability of harpies to mimic human speech, their social nature, and their somewhat humanlike appearance has caused some to speculate that they are intelligent creatures on the same level as man. This is not true in the least. Captured specimens portray no more intelligence than a dog, and are also completely untamable. They will play along for awhile but always flee from their human trainers at the first chance they get.

Peasants and rural nobility have been known to shoot the creatures on sight. This is due to the fact they have been known to attack children or livestock that wander too close to the woods. Being cunning creatures harpies now rarely let men or women get within bowshot if they see the person is armed.

Folklore is filled of tales of harpies luring men to their death through beautiful singing. These tales are unlikely to be true though as such complex and detailed mimicry has never been observed. At most harpies have been noted to repeat a single short sentence. Still, it is a fanciful notion with a disquieting kernel of truth at its core. 

Another common myth is that all harpies are female, and reproduce with human men. This is obviously false. Male harpies are simply very feminine looking and hard to distinguish from the females.

Truly, the harpy is a creature of unsettling contradictions. It seemingly blends the features of men and bird together but is actually neither. It is intelligent and beautiful, yet also violent, savage, and forever untamable.

-Farstidiuous Der Lanmount, Royal Gervaien Surveyor.


Here's another journal entry to help with the wait until Sunday's chapter. If you want more info or feel something is missing  just ask below. You can also make suggestions for the next journal entry.
Advertisement
Remove

Support "The Iron Teeth: A Goblin's Tale"

About the author

ClearMadness

Bio: Not actually a goblin.
Discord: https://discord.gg/EfWK6tg

Achievements
Comments(26)
Log in to comment
Log In

ultragunner ago

Isnt the very fact that a harpy is able to 'play along' then try to escape proof enough of intelect?

ClearMadness ago

05/02/2016 20:42:52ultragunner Wrote: [ -> ]Isnt the very fact that a harpy is able to 'play along' then try to escape proof enough of intelect?


Maybe. :)

The author is not without prejudice.

pppp22 ago

Interesting, thank you. I would like to know more about slime or crystal caves. Oh and trolls.

sao ago

oooh, would you mind telling me on which days you post your chapters? i just finished reading story a couple of days ago and i love it haha.. but anyway, since you post on Sundays, do you post on other days to??

ClearMadness ago

I post on Wednesdays and Sundays. Sometimes if I have a bonus chapter to release or a journal entry I'll release something on Friday as well.
Log in to comment
Log In