Advertisement
Remove

Chapter 13 – Avilla City

The walls of Avilla came to view as the bluish stone battlements overlooking the road shadows the travelers. In front of the gates are two guards armed with a rifle. They wear the color blue on their armor. Above them were two cannons pointed to the road. At the tower up above the walls are two giant ballistae that are ready for use. The gates of the city were lowered. There’s a long line of travelers seeking entrance to the city. From merchants to mercenaries to travelers who are just here for sightseeing.

There was this smell of flowers coming from the plains that oddly meets with the desert that is blocked by this ridge and mountain. The scent of flowers and the desert gives this aroma that was unable to be described other than soothing and calming. Hence despite the long line the people waiting are being strangely patient.

Among the liners are four people riding frilled lizard mounts. They have sand on their clothes and one could see the wounds on them. Worth noting was the burly man with a horn whose wounds and scars are impressive. Behind the horned man was a thin framed human wearing light armor. On his waist are flint-lock pistols. The other mount has two Cattus girls who seemed young. Their black cat-like ears located on top of their head makes them noticeable. They wore robes and the look of the tall one was quite fearsome. She had this grimace as some of the humans look at her.

“Leiko please...”

“I’ll be fine Shig,” said Leiko.

“I hope you don’t start anything. Just endure their lusty looks.”

Leiko snorted. She hissed at the people looking at her. They would have argued with her if it wasn’t for Shig’s intimidating presence. Among these many people, Kioko who’s in front of Leiko lowered her head. She was shy faced with this amount of people she didn’t know. She was looking around. She then saw Joshua making a funny face. This made her laugh adorably. Her shyness vanished along with it.

Leiko caught a glimpse of Joshua’s funny face and the way he was able to make her sister laughed. She wasn’t bothered since she now trusts the human a bit.

Joshua saw Leiko’s face. He threw his head back and pretended to have not done anything. He whistled awkwardly. This made Leiko feel like she really scared the man.

Joshua wasn’t scared. He was just worried that the only people he knows in this world would hate him. That’s why he tries to be lenient. Not to mention that when they were being chased by the riders in the desert. It was his fault that they did badly. He didn’t fight until he saw Kioko being dragged by the hair. This did not sit well with Joshua so he had to kill someone.

Killing someone didn’t make him happy. After killing someone Joshua’s nights were filled with nightmares. He would dream of the faces of those he killed. Their eyes rolled back. Blood seeping out from the wounds that he inflicted himself.

Joshua would shudder at those dreams. He was by no means heartless. So such event affected him badly. He’s trying to make it not to appear. But even though they didn’t know what language he was speaking. They could tell what he was thinking by how he acts. They were not dumb people and he was not sketchy or smart enough to fool them. He wasn’t special by any means. Just some unlucky dude that got lost in some foreign world.

Stolen novel; please report.


The line moved. The clanking of armor, the sounds of boots and the click of tongues came along with it. The four arrived in front of the guards. The guards drew their eyes at the four and told them to pay up. It was a necessity for the people to pay taxes to enter the city. All those who would live would pay while the travelers had to pay a bit more due to the tax imposed that is considered lenient.

Avilla City is prosperous. They have no lack of money but it always good to have more money on the city’s coffins. Luckily, Shig kept enough money to pay for their entrance. The guards didn’t bother them and let them get a move on inside the city. Once inside the city the four saw the building-lined street of Avilla. The houses were made of brick and stones. And the roofs were tilled and this same grayish color. The street in front of them was filled with people heading deeper into the city. Above the scenery is a stronghold flying the colors of blue. Shig knew that flag fondly and cherishes it. He fought for the warlord of the city once. Its warlord was his partner in arms and now his daughter owns this city. Shig didn’t want to work. But with how things are he has no choice but to keep his promise to his old friend.

“We’ll be going to that stronghold.” He told them.

“Can’t we just rest for a moment?” Leiko complained.

“No, I’d rather not spend the rest our money on Inns. Not to mention we don’t know if that warlord’s daughter will accept me.”

“So you are risking it?” She looked at Shig.

“Yes. We might and just might need the money. So until then let us go and meet my partner’s daughter.”

And so they rode their frilled lizard onwards to the stronghold. The main road leading to the stronghold was wide. It fit the soldiers, the patrols, the caravans and the various travelers that are sightseeing. Many kinds of mounts and horses are on the main road, so their mount didn’t gather too much attention. It took minutes to reach the stronghold. Once there, the guards asked them what their reasons are for approaching the stronghold. Shig told them and hearing this made the guards recognize the demi-human in front of them. They’ve heard of a fight in the desert when the bird messengers arrived. A battalion worth of riders brought down by some crazed bull. Know this made the guards tensed and polite. They immediately told the others to call for the warlord of the City. A few moments later, a pale-haired woman garb in plate armor appeared before them.

She looked at them for a while before turning her eyes to Shig.

“Welcome to my City Uncle Shig.” said the woman.

Shig smiled wearily. “It is nice meeting you again Mia.”

“So you’ve finally come to fulfill your promise?”

“Yes.”

Shig said. He didn’t refuse nor tried anything. The woman heard that clearly and smiled saying. “Welcome to Avilla City then Uncle Shig. May you be good to me.”

Advertisement
Remove

About the author

fawks

  • Idle

Bio: Someone who you would find scratching his head, staring at the empty wordless page.

Achievements
Comments(2)
Log in to comment
Log In