Advertisement
Remove

Chapter 21 – Ploy (2)

News of Joshua tackling someone out of the study room’s window spread on the stronghold. The study room was located at the second floor of the stronghold and he did it while killing a heavily trained Bali assassin, who had many hits. Joshua suffered swelling after he jumped off the building. And if the Bali Assassin was not there to break his fall. He would have broken his legs badly.

Kioko and Old Gale were safe. Leiko arrived in time to secure the two while the stronghold was then locked, and visitors were inspected thrice. The Warlord of the Stronghold, Mia of Avilla, ordered her soldiers to search for any remaining assassins lurking the city. The manhunt was led by the Lord Enforcer who found four assassins from the Cagan who wanted the Warlord’s life.

As for the Knight Templar that was ordered to deliver the letter to Mia. He was taken to the public square of the city of Avilla and was personally executed by the Warlord of the City to warn those who acts against the state will be labeled as traitors. Mia of Avilla used this excuse to eliminate four leading merchants who had colluded with the other states.

The City of Avilla was turned upside down. The Blue District soldiers marching down the streets with their arms in order to seek enemies of the state. The constant execution in the public square turned the whole city of Avilla gloomy. The mood of the city became grey. The people held their heads down hoping that they won’t get mistaken as an enemy of the state.

Back in the Stronghold, Shig with his arms crossed thought of the actions that Mia did. Behind him was Leiko who adjusted the crossbow she recently own. She preferred the crossbow rather than the firearm. She was oiling her crossbow. Delicately tuning the strings and adjusting the mechanism of the crossbow.

“A tiresome work,” said Shig.

“Rooting out assassins is hard. Good thing you didn’t have to follow the scent of poison,” said Leiko flatly. “I didn’t know you hated poison that much.”

Shig spread his hands. “My memories of poison are terrible.”

“Who would have good memories with poison?” Leiko raised a brow.

Shig wearily smiled. “Yeah, who would have good memories about them?”

Shig turned around and sat on the table with his hands cupped. He looked at the crossbow that Leiko has, before turning his eyes down to the table. He smelled some fresh aroma. He heard boots stomping down. He and Leiko were on the blue district. They had stayed here waiting for any news that would need their attention.

“Bali and Cagan, the Holy Midland sending some poison doesn’t add up. Sure there are fanatical Templar’s out there but they rarely used the method of poisoning. Hmm, this must the native of Shoni’s work.”

The tale has been taken without authorization; if you see it on Amazon, report the incident.

“Who knows? Maybe the Templar’s had grown weary and decided they want Lady Mia dead,” said Leiko. “Who wouldn’t want a place of Avilla after all?”

“Maybe, but the Templar’s are a proud bunch. Not to mention they consider their oaths holy. Breaking them is the same as spitting on their God’s face. And these fanatical knights won’t dare to disgrace their God just like that.”

Leiko nodded. “You are right. Those crusading Knights are too fanatical to break their oaths.”

The Knight Templar’s had the reputation of devoted fanatics that adheres to their God’s Will. As long as God wills it they will follow. They are blind devotees that would storm citadels or even declare war to a nation who blaspheme their God.

One would think that in an age where rifles are present. One would think that the Knights would go extinct. But these knights did not care for that. Instead, they adapted to the world smartly and grab rifles to arm themselves. Once they wore heaver armor but know they wear light armor and a white surcoat with a giant Red Cross painted on their back. Around their waists are bandoliers containing ammunition and explosives while at the back of their waist are their trustee swords that they could pull whenever they engage in close quarter combat.

They are a dangerous bunch and are usually heavily armed. That’s why Shig and Mia didn’t buy the messenger’s story about the ambushed Templar’s. The Templar’s might be fanatics. But they are well-trained fanatics that are trained to fight to a state just by guerilla warfare alone. They are natural at hit and run. They are too good that Shig found it hard that such messenger was a templar.

“They think that Mia is a fool. Or that someone doesn’t know to make a ploy.”

“Maybe, though they should know better how to deal with Avilla City. This place had seen wars and many wanted her to be brought down. A gateway to all trade routes. Do you think that they can easily tame her and her mistress?”

“No they can’t,” said Leiko, finishing her maintenance.

“Sir,” A voice called.

Shig looked over the door and said, “Come in soldier.” and saw a rifleman enter with rifle tucked neatly. The soldier eyed them and bowed respectfully before saying. “Sir, someone is here to see you.”

“Who is it?” said Shig, curious.

“She’s someone that wants to speak to both of you, Sir.”

It was Leiko’s turn to be curious. “Who’s the lady that wants to see us?”

“I don’t think I had the right to say her name at the moment, Ma’am.”

“Just send her in and let us see.” Shig gestured the soldier. The soldier nodded his head and went back to call for the lady. Shig and Leiko readied themselves and tried to look proper. But then, a woman with her springy hair walked right inside the room with a maidservant beside her. She wore a frilly black dress. She had the bearings of a noblewoman and she smelled of high class perfume.

Shig and Leiko looked at the lady with a flat gaze first. Then, their gazes turned to that of a demon as they halted their urge to draw their weapons out and murder her right in the spot.

“It is pleasure to meet you two, I am Dolce of Alva,” she grabbed the hemmed of her frilly skirt. “I would like to discuss something.”

Shig and Leiko gritted their teeths madly.

While the she-devil just smiled sweetly.

Advertisement
Remove

About the author

fawks

  • Idle

Bio: Someone who you would find scratching his head, staring at the empty wordless page.

Achievements
Comments(6)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In