Advertisement
Remove

A simple day, a simple day is what it was on a friday afternoon in Maryland. It was a cool sixty degrees and for many that was the best teperature it could get. For Elijah, a geek to the utmost degree, in his two-hundred or so pounds, with not a lot of that being muscle but a large enough portion to win a fight, glasses on his face and hair down to his eyes this was the perfect day. For it was the day he would spew his feelings for a girl he had been pining over for more than a full marking period. It was at a time during the transition from third block that he saw her and decided to confess.

When he saw the girl, Izzy, with her bright blonde hair that had brown dye about five inches up, glasses on her face, dazzling blue eyes, and freckles he felt the anxiety build before he simply walked up and started talking.

"Hey Izzy, can I tell you something"

Izzy not realizing that Elijah was there turned and remarked, "Oh, uh, sure!"

"I, I really like you. Like I have a massive crush on you."

"Oh, uhm, listen you're sweet but, uhm, I, I just, no." Izzy spoke with flaking demeanor and trying with all her might to not embarass this suitor of hers.

Elijah's head began to spin as his world came crashing down. His confidence went from a overfull balloon to the size of a pea. And when he spoke it showed. There was a quiver in his voice and as he spoke he ran quickly past Izzy.

"Oh, uh, Kay then, I should be going."

Izzy not wishing to turn a once budding friendship sour, spoke as she chased Elijah down, "No, listen, why don't we talk this out. Let me explain."

As Elijah turned to listen there was a loud crash behind them as a crimson red, quadruped with no eyes and fangs the size of kitchen knives in its mouth picked itself off the ground. As everyone sat silently waiting for anything to make a move. One man, the reading teacher, moved to go for a shard of freshly broken glass and the beast pounced. As it jumped for the man it tore through his throat in an instant, releasing a geyser of blood upon the front row of children watching in horror. Instantly it then charged after a boy covered in his old teachers blood, it went for his leg to knock him down and found purchase with its teeth. On the ground he was easy pickings for the monstrosity and it dove at his head tearing it from its place.

At this point the survivors of these attacks then ran in every direction they could think of. Panic was going amongst the student body as it would when a monster rips a teacher and friends throat out. Elijah thinking quickly, ran into the, now dead, reading teachers room and started to fiddle with a windows lock. This was a foreign mechanism to him and he made many fumbles with it before hearing a yell from behind as he saw a friend with a chair in his hands.

This friend was Greg, he was the most sports oriented person in the school and walked with the confidence of ten marines after a successful operation. He was all muscle and with his trimmed military style haircut was quite a force to be reckoned with. He had the tan that only eight years of football gave. He spoke with the deep voice of a teen of seventeen to eighteen.

"MOVE!!"

Elijah not stupid enough to defy the man with the chair ready to throw, moved out of the way. When he threw himself to the side he saw the chair fly past him and break through the window spreading shards of glass across the floor. Greg immediately started to remove the remaining bits of glass out of the pane before jumping out with Elijah following.

As they both hopped out they saw a scene of absolute chaos unfurling. The red creatures were jumping around everywhere and were chewing on the dead students and teachers. There was a cop car crashed into a flood light with the top of the roof ripped open. More quick planning came from Elijah when he saw a bus driver on the ground with their chest ripped open like a rabbit that was attacked by a wolf. He looked from the body to their old bus and to the police car and pointed Greg in the direction of the driver before saying.

The tale has been illicitly lifted; should you spot it on Amazon, report the violation.

"Greg! Grab his keys and start bus 83. I'm gonna get whatever I can find from that car. Go!"

Greg still entranced by the carnage around them quickly snaps back to look at Elijah and nods before running to the body. Elijah seeing the plan begin starts running to the squad car. He ran to the side where the drivers door was open and jumped back when he saw a kid of a cop with his throat turned inside out by the claws of some monster. He quickly recovered from his stupor and grabbed the mans gun on his hip. With the gun he grabbed a pocket knife and looked into the passenger seat. In the seat he saw a shotgun with a hand still attached even though it was missing a body. He grabbed the gun, a shell still on the seat, and the open box of shells that the lost body was probably using to load the shotgun. Nothing else in the car he hopped out and turned.

When he turned he saw the same knife like fangs of one of the monsters looking at him with a evil hunger. It jumped for him and as Elijah dropped down onto the ground he gripped the trigger of the shotgun in his hand and pulled. It was a one in a million shot for a kid who didn't hunt he but none the less he hit the beast killing it. Gathering himself he then turned and ran toward the bus. On his way he heard a scream to his left. He turned and saw one of the monstrosities on top of Izzy as it was biting at her head while she tried with all her might to hold it off. Elijah seeing this ran toward the struggle and caught its attention.

"HEY!"

As the beast turned toward the sound of the noise its head was blown off by a blast from the shotgun. Izzy's face was now covered in the thick, black substance that was the monsters blood. Elijah picked Izzy up off the ground and after realizing she was in too much shock to move, resorted to dragging her to the bus. Greg opened the door and Elijah shoved Izzy into a seat before laying the guns and ammo onto the dash before yeling another order.

"LETS GO!"

Greg, only thirteen years of age and no driving experience to speak of started the bus off way to quickly. Almost knocking Elijah off his feet. As they started they saw three more of the red beasts cornering four friends against a wall. Elijah grabbed the wheel and turned it in the direction of the monsters, rattling everyone on the bus but still running the wolf like creatures over and ending their existence. He then opened the door to his friends a few covered in blood, both red and black.

The four people to board the bus were Jared, Noellia, Cody, and Aydan. Jared was a lean guy with experience in soccer and lacrosse. He was one of the most redneck people at the school. He hunted, fished, had guns some legal some not, and he occasionally made moonshine for money. He and Elijah were best friends since the first grade and it showed. Even with their differences in physique they could share a laugh and always helped each other out and an attack by monsters would not stop them.

Noellia was a 4'11 half Mexican and always had something to say about all situations. Though at this moment she looked more like a deer in headlights as she was glassy eyed and had red, not black blood on her. She was a friend of Elijah's from the second grade and on. She was the person Elijah trusted most with many secrets and she always let him explain or talk. Even if they weren't the best of friends like Elijah was with Jared, she was still a close one.

Cody was of Peurta Rican descent and second only to Elijah had the most facial hair out of any one in the, currently being destroyed, school. He was as much a realist as one could be during certain situations and sometimes, indirectly, could give someone the advice they needed. He wasn't buff and had a stocky look but nowhere close to Elijah's. He was currently moving Noellia in front of him and had his own glassy eyed look on but not even half the blood.

The final boarder was Aydan. Elijah always saw Aydan as untrustworthy with most things but as having put on the face of a child. Aydan could act, look, and talk like an innocent kid one moment and then curse a teacher out the next. He had dated more than ten girls in sixth grade, a little less the seventh, and none this year as his reputation had gotten around. At this moment Aydan was jittering around looking out all windows and had a large bite on his shoulder. The bite had stained the area of his white jacket a disgusting shade of red. He was going to be in pain later but for now the adrenaline of the situation kept him going.

Greg started the car after the hit. As they began to leave they heard screams behind them as others were running from the building and chasing after the bus. Sadly there efforts were in vain as they kept driving, as they kept driving they would scream and run more. This in turn would drive more attention from the wolf like creatures and before they kew it the survivors were overrun with shifting red masses pulling them limb from limb. And they just kept driving, where they didn't know, they just needed to survive this mess and survive they would.

Advertisement
Remove

Fiction
Index
Next
Chapter
About the author

Jebediah Primm

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(0)
Log in to comment
Log In