Advertisement
Remove
Mari knew the only reason she was still standing was because of Muraad. He had taken control before they went into the castle. When he had done so, he had supplied her with enough strength to continue on. No matter what it did for her, Mari couldn't help but wish he had let her collapse as opposed to forcing something so sickening and painful on her. Mari, despite years of exposure, couldn't stomach the awful side effects that came with the Seven using their inhuman strength through her.

She had no choice in the matter, so there she was, outside the same room they had visited once before. Mallory had called it a throne room; Mari didn't understand why, but she supposed it was only right it had a name. They hadn't run into any more humans until outside the throne room. They weren't a problem for long.

Hands dripping, Muraad had her stumble to the doors, pushing them open. She registered several gasps and a rush of footsteps as she entered the room. Mari's head was pulled up. Orange and red light flickered around the edges. Shadows flickered across the ground. She saw more of the polished men than had been there before. That was strange. They blocked the path to Dainan. Beside her, Rekema was beaming.

"I believe we've been in this position before," Dainan spoke over his men. His voice was tight. Mari thought it was like he was trying to hold something back, but she could clearly see that wasn't the case.

Muraad smirked. Mari spoke his words, "Are you ready to give me what I want?"

"What are you after? Not to offend, but the last time we talked you weren't exactly clear," Dainan said. The twins giggled behind her.

Muraad laughed, and Mari's throat burned from the strain. "We want your surrender, or we'll take it, doesn't matter to us."

Silence fell, except for Mari. Her own labored breath and the muttered words between the Seven rang in her ears. The twins in particular squealed, and Bidkar shushed them. The men turned to their leader. Mari watched, curious. She knew she didn't understand everything, but she could tell the Seven wanted Dainan to stop resisting. Mari thought everything would be easier if he did.

"And if I surrender, what happens? What will you do to my kingdom? My people?" Dainan asked. She wondered what he meant. What made them his people? Was it about leadership? Did Rekema consider the rest of the Seven and Mari to be her people?

The men behind Dainan started to whisper to him. Mari couldn't remember what she had just been wondering about. Their voices caught her attention, but she couldn't catch the words. Muraad turned to Rekema and received her permission. She gestured one hand forward for him to continue. Mari heard herself say, "If you surrender, we would consider leaving your kingdom to continue on, only under our leadership. As much as it would please us to destroy this kingdom, we are considering letting you and the majority live in exchange for you complete and utter cooperation."

Dainan said nothing. More whispers. Mari caught words like "crazy," "possessed," and "betray." She had never heard them before. Muraad sighed deeply and rolled his eyes; Mari stayed still.

Rekema said, "Forget this, give me control."

Muraad paused, bowed his head, and stepped back. Mari folded over, and her knees buckled. The moment Mari moved, the men pulled out their long knives and readied themselves. Rekema caught Mari and pulled her back up. Rekema's power filtered through, not as powerful as Balak's, but it still turned her blood cold.

Unauthorized usage: this narrative is on Amazon without the author's consent. Report any sightings.


With a gesture, Rekema and Mari cleared a path to Dainan. The men yelled, and their protective clothing clanged against the ground. Mari's steps were stunted, and Rekema barely kept her balanced. She saw Dainan's face shift as she approached. Mari never had been good at reading people, especially when it came to emotions she didn't know.

"Still think you can stop me?" Rekema spoke through Mari, bringing her right up to Dainan.

Dainan said something, but Mari missed it. Rekema had her step closer, tilt her head, and hum. "Hmm?"

Dainan looked up, and Mari didn't like the look in his eye. It reminded her of the look on the man Bidkar chose. She had seen it right before she closed her eyes. It hurt her chest. Dainan spoke up slightly, "No."

Rekema and Mari grinned; her own being far more painful and forced. "Are you ready to die? Dainan, is it?"

He set his jaw.

Rekema continued speaking through Mari, "Are you ready to be responsible for the slaughter of this kingdom?"

Another pause. Mari was beginning to hate the sound of silence. All the things left unsaid filled the air and pulled at her skin. She wished someone would scream, cry, yell, anything to stop the dreaded absence of noise.

Dainan finally said, "No, I'm not."

Despite the protests from the men behind him, Dainan dropped to his knees. Her removed the headpiece, offering it to her. Mari didn't know what to do with it, but Rekema had her take it.

"I surrender," Dainan said as the headpiece slipped from out of his hands.

Rekema turned Mari around and had her hold up the headpiece. Rekema's power surged through her. Rekema yelled, and Mari's voice tore at her throat, "We are in charge now. You are under my rule. You serve me, obey my every order, cater to every whim, and heed every word that comes out of this mouth."

Mari took a deep breath, staring down the men before her. There were so many; they stared back at her. Their faces imitated Dainan's from earlier; the sight made her heart stop.

Something moved behind her; both Rekema and Mari heard it. Muraad called out, "Rekema, look out!"

Rekema jerked her hands, and Mari was pulled to the side, holding the headpiece with one hand. The man tripped on her feet and dropped his knife as he fell. Rekema had Mari pick up the blade and kneel over the man. Without a moment's pause, Mari saw her hand drive the blade into his neck. Out of his mouth, came blood and a sickening gurgle. Everyone winced, except for Mari who would have if she could.

Mari watched herself pick up the man and hold him up in front of everyone. Mari felt the strain and pull in her arms. Freezing power filled her arms, chilling her heart. Rekema had Mari hurl the man to the feet of the crowd. There was a thud, and Rekema had Mari take the headpiece in both hands, staining it with red. Rekema moved her fingers, and Mari set it on her own head. Mari's voice rang out, but she remained detached. "Disobey and suffer the consequences. Suffer my wrath. Now, bow. Kneel before your queen, Queen Mari Annette."

The men before her dropped to their knees and kept from meeting her gaze. Mari wasn't sure what a queen was, but she knew she had just taken Dainan's place. All she wanted to do was go back to the cottage and sleep until the awful heavy feeling in her bones disappeared.
Advertisement
Remove

About the author

CelWrites

Bio: Hey, I go by Cel, and I'm a fantasy fiction writer who only chose that path because I realized the only dragons I would ever meet would be my own. I follow the philosophy about writing the types of stories you want to read; the only thing left is to find out if anyone else wants to read them. Hopefully, you do, and you're ready to join me on my own adventure in writing fantasy fiction.

Achievements
Comments(0)
Log in to comment
Log In