Advertisement
Remove

My day was finally finished and I could head on home and finish the latest chapter of my favorite light novel. I had a few other light novels I had purchased and was anxiously waiting to read them too. Pushing the button to call the elevator, I waited for a minute or two, and when the elevator door finally opened, I stepped inside. I pushed the button for the ground floor and listened to the plain elevator music while the elevator moved downwards.

This was a comfortable feeling for me, finishing up work and heading down in the elevator by myself while listening to the soothing music. The elevator ride was not a long one, but I always enjoyed the relative silence whenever this time of day came. It was a moment when I could reflect on my life.

My life was fine for the most part, although there was a bit of loneliness, maybe a bit of regret too. I made some bad choices when I was young and life happened. It was difficult for me dealing with my marriage, divorce and also the fact that I could hardly ever see my own child. I wasn’t complaining though, the things that happened were my own choice. No one forced me to do anything and there were even plenty of people who tried to give me advice. I was young and thought I was in love so there was no convincing me. I had been a fool and was suffering because of it.

No time for a pity party. I shook my head and tried to push those thoughts to the side. This was my life and I had to deal with it. I couldn’t fully move on just yet but I was making progress and the interesting worlds I read in my books and the games I played helped deal with it all.

Only a few moments had passed as I was deep in thought. The elevator's descent slowed but I had thought it to just be my imagination until, with a rumble and a creaking of gears, the elevator screeched to a halt.

What the hell is going on!? I began frantically pressing buttons but the elevator was not responding.

Oh man, don’t tell me the elevator broke down? This can’t be happening!!! How the hell am I supposed to get home now? I even pressed the emergency call button but that wasn’t working either. Wasn’t the whole point of the emergency call button supposed to be for summoning aid in emergencies?

The narrative has been stolen; if detected on Amazon, report the infringement.

I started yelling at the top of my lungs and banged on the elevator door hoping someone would hear me. It was stuck on the second floor, where there were many offices, and it was about time for the afternoon work hours to end so someone should hear me or come to the elevator soon.

Despite this, no one came to the elevator and there were no responses to my frantic cries for help Minutes stretched into hours, as I slowly ceased my futile actions and waited in silence in the, now forlorn, elevator. What is going on out there? Why is no one responding? This sucks! My day is completely ruined.

As I was thinking those thoughts, the elevator lurched, surprising me and sending me head first into the elevator door. I quickly braced myself with both hands and saved myself from the pain of banging my head against the elevator door.

What was that!?

The elevator lurched again, but this time I was a little more prepared for it and was able to stop myself from flying in the other direction.

After the second lurch, it got quiet. The light went out in the elevator and I was now standing in almost complete darkness. I was getting scared, I didn’t know what was going on. I moved to the center of the elevator and looked at my surroundings. I could see a little, but I didn’t notice anything especially strange.

It was then that the elevator suddenly lurched one last time. This time was different. There was a sense of weightlessness for a moment as the elevator made a loud screeching sound and then fell as though it was being swallowed by an endless abyss.

I fell with the elevator for a long time, I couldn’t tell how long. I screamed at the top of my lungs in fear, knowing I was about to die. I couldn’t understand what was happening to the elevator, as it went against common sense. The elevator was only on the second floor, yet the elevator and I had been falling for what seemed to be an eternity, down what could have been an endless abyss. My primal fears were stirred in that dark abyss, in that weightless surging eternity.

Would I fall forever? Was my fate to be consumed by the abyss until even my very thoughts faded away? Years could have easily passed as I continued falling, or it may have been mere moments. There was no way to tell how long I was suspended in that state.

Soon the elevator faded away and there was only the silent dark. I couldn’t tell whether I was standing or falling, I couldn’t even hear a single sound. Was I alive? Dead? Was I dreaming?

I screamed but no sound left my lips. I struggled, but in vain.

With no recourse, I became calm. My perception of time stopped as if frozen in an infinite loop. Within the stillness I caught a glimpse of what seemed like twinkling stars and then the darkness faded amidst a brilliant sun.

Advertisement
Remove
A note from keriv136

Decided to shorten the prologue as most of the other stuff was unnecessary. Better to get to the story. 7/25/2017


Support "Fayde of the Void"

Fiction
Index
Next
Chapter
About the author

keriv136

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(24)
Log in to comment
Log In

Sarius ago

Interesting, I'll keep an eye on it Very Happy

No-One-Special ago

seems fun
thanks for the chappy

BirgirReynisson ago

one thing i already like more than the original, he is divorced with his wife when i was reading the original i was always wondering what happened to her and his daughter because i hate the idea of a wife loosing her husband that she loved and a kid growing up without a father atleast this way the kid can get a stepfather early and the wife a guy she can truly love. i also could be speaking too early and she could be a bitch in this one.

Treyon ago

Meh. Im sad that he dosnt has a daughter and wife anymore. The part where he cried due to them was touching.... Guess you will remove the crying part since he dosnt has anything holding him back to return

    keriv136 ago

    There is still something there, it's not exactly the same but i did something. You can let me know what you think later. He still has a daughter by the way

      keriv136 ago

       

      Treyon, I deleted your comment because it had spoilers in it but I answered you in my spoiler tag!

      Spoiler: Spoiler

       

Vampire 47 ago

CK2 for the win. Made me so happy

Folkensedai ago

honestly ? 

this prologue was boring :/

hope the true chapters will be more entertaining !

Soneka ago

Anyway, that’s me, Peter or Pete for short.

 

Is he perhaps .... cuban? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfO_OfmGOl0

My perception of time stopped as if frozen in an infinite loop.

That sounds like me when I'm in the shower. "How long have I been staring to the wall? I can't remember when I did stop washing my ass just to wonder about the mysteries of the universe..."

Thanks for the chapter

Montmorencey66 ago

Wow I started reading the day you changed your prologue..... Ah well. Hope the rest of your story is interesting too.

AusNecromancer ago

This isn't going to be one of thoughs "Anime Romance-Harem" crap where the MC dose nothing and is completely oblivious to thier feelings? Because if it is I am not going to continue this story.

I hate stories with stagnant romance. It pisses me off and it's only point so to make drama, crapy drama.

archerbob ago

Thanks for the chapter and this "I had thought it to just be my imagination until" should be "thought it may just be"

I'm not sure why as I have seen it in many stories before but this "Years could have easily passed as I continued falling, or it may have been mere moments" and to a lesser extent that section doesn't make sense to me.. The only thing that you said is happening to him is he is in an elevator that is falling but in that situation you will eventually get use to the sensation of falling and be able to think normally. Once you are not afraid for your life how could someone confuse years with moments? This seemed especially unnatural as the mc had the presence of mind to wonder why he is falling so long when he was only on the second floor. You realy need to add something else to this to warrant this reaction or take out the references to years passing as it seems very unbelievable to me (I think after a few minutes to an hour I would be literally jumping off the walls as it would be effectively zero gravity) in its current state. Ok now that that rant is over I'm going to try the next chapter.

Log in to comment
Log In