Advertisement
Remove

Chapter 12

Part 1

It’s gotten to the point where Xela and I have been texting more than just daily now. Since we only have one class together in school, we took every opportunity before and after classes to take out our phone and text (usually argue) with each other about whatever the fuck we wanted. The one class we have together, we’d spend talking rather than paying attention. There was no doubt about it now: Xela and I have become pretty good friends, but nothing more.

However, the idea that Xela and I were dating has not only reached Rebekah but the whole school too. I’d occasionally get questions from some of Xela’s friends or even random people in the halls whether Xela and I have started dating yet. Obviously, I’ve given it some thought before, but it’d be best if we stay friends.

As our last period class ended, I rushed out of the room and headed straight to me and Xela’s usual meeting spot. Our plan was to get there and walk to Filip’s Cafe as quickly as possible to avoid even more questions and rumours. If we were seen leaving school together, that would not be good. A good 5 minutes went by, and people were already starting to leave. Finally, I see Xela exit the school doors.

“What took you so long? Let’s go!” I said, dragging her arm and speed walking to avoid people’s attention.

“I had to pee.”

“Oh my god, couldn’t you hold it?” I sighed.

“Did you really want to deal with my whining about how I really need to pee the whole way there?”

“No.”

“Exactly.”

“Do you think anyone saw us?” I asked.

“Probably. Why do you care so much anyway?”

“You don’t understand how annoying it is having everyone in the goddamn school say to you everyday ‘Hey are you dating Xela?’ and ‘You better not break her heart’. It’s not long until I start getting death threats from losers who have a crush on you.”

“It’s not like you’re the only one who has to go through it too, you know.”

“So are you not getting annoyed by everyone asking if we’re dating.”

“I am, but I value my bladder more,” she said.

“Goddammit Xela! Can’t you hold it in for just 20 minutes? 20 MINUTES!”

“Haven’t you heard it’s rude to tell a girl to hold it in?”

“No.”

“Then nobody’s taught you proper manners.”

“What? Is that some rule in the basic manners handbook that every guy is supposed to know?”

“No, but you should know it by now. After all, you are a seventeen-year-old male.”

“A seventeen-year-old male with no experience with girls.”

“Right. I forgot you’re a complete-”

“Can we not go over this again?” I interrupted

“Fine.”

“Hypocrite.”

“Hey! You said yourself we wouldn’t go over this!” she exclaimed.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry.”

“Good.”

After some more walking and talking, we finally got to Filip’s Cafe in what felt like no time. We sat in our usual seats at the corner of the cafe and continued talking while sipping on our coffee.

Part 2

Xela and I were enjoying ourselves, discussing future plans for Will and Rebekah as always, and occasionally coming up with the worst jokes we could think of while trying not to disturb the rest of the cafe with our loud laughs. Of course, we didn’t need to be setting them up anymore, as they are dating now, but I still needed to play along as Xela still doesn’t know yet. Either way, I was having fun.

Moments later, I heard the door to the cafe open and the wind breeze through the building. Xela’s facial expression automatically changed from looking like she was having the time of her life to looking like she just shat her pants. She quickly put on the hood of her jacket and ducked her head. Confused about what was going on, I proceeded to do the same as her.

“What’s going on?” I whispered.

“Look behind you,” she whispered back.

I took a quick peek, and I didn’t even have to fully turn my head to see why she did that. Near the entrance, I could see Rebekah and Will in line to order their coffees.

“This is all your fault,” I said.

“Me? What did I do?”

“They were probably able to follow us because of your fucking pee break.”

“I really had to pee!”

Not only were we afraid of Rebekah and Will seeing the two of us in public and getting the wrong message, but it would also give away our little hiding place where we discuss our future plans for them.

“This is bad. What do we do?” she asked.

I thought about it for a second, then came up with the best solution possible. “Let’s casually stand up and walk out the door and pray they don’t see us.”

“Are you an idiot? They’re right beside the exit right now!”

“Do you have any better ideas!?”

“Let’s wait for the line to clear a bit so they’re ordering their coffees and distracted when we take our leave.”

“Fine,” I agreed.

Still with our hoods on, we waited for a little while until they were finally at the front of the line and ordering their coffees. We casually stood up and began walking towards the exit at a normal pace.

This narrative has been purloined without the author's approval. Report any appearances on Amazon.

As we were about to leave the building, Will turns around with his coffee in his hand at the worst time. Our eyes met briefly, and at that point, I knew we were fucked. I quickly turned my head away from him, but it was already too late.

“Hey, not so fast Johnny!” he calls out to me.

I took off my hood as I knew it was pointless keeping it on now. Rebekah was still in the middle of ordering her coffee, but I’m sure she was aware of what was going on. To my side, Xela was still trying to make her escape and leave on her own.

I grabbed her by the hood so she couldn’t make it out alone. “Yeah, where do you think you’re going?”

“Come on! I could’ve made it out!” she whined.

“You are not leaving me in this situation alone!”

Rebekah was finally done ordering her coffee and started walking over to the three of us.

“Wow! What a coincidence seeing you guys here!’ Rebekah said, taking a sip of her coffee.

“Coincidence my ass… You guys really just followed us here, didn’t you?” I asked.

“No,” Rebekah responded

“Yeah,” Will also responded simultaneously with Rebekah,

They turned to each other and Rebekah opened her eyes as wide as she could, signalling ‘you’re ruining everything you dumbass.’

“Nope, not at all,” Will answers this time.

“Were we… disturbing you two from something?” Rebekah asked.

“Nope, nothing at all,” Xela and I both instantly responded.

“Good, then you guys wouldn’t mind sitting down and talking for a while?” she asked.

“Actually, I really gotta get home, I’m kinda in a hurry,” I said.

“Oh, so I guess you guys don’t mind me telling the whole school about your little dates at the cafe every now and then?”

FUCK! She got us cornered.

“Come on, the four of us haven’t hanged out together much recently. It’ll be fun,” Will persuaded.

“Fine, we’ll sit,” we agreed reluctantly.

We all took our seats at a table of four this time and continued drinking our coffees.

“How suspicious, seeing Johnny and Xela casually talking together in a cafe and trying to leave as they see their two other friends walk in,” Will said. “Are you sure you guys aren’t on a date?”

“What’s your endgame?” Xela asked.

“Nothing! I just wanted the four of us to hang out some more is all.”

“Okay, what should we all do then?”

“I’ve got an idea!” Rebekah spoke out. “How about a game of truth or dare?”

Part 3

“The rules are simple. Classic game of truth or dare with the only restriction being daring anyone to do something that will get someone arrested. First one to chicken out has to pay for everyone else’s coffee next time we all come,” Rebekah said. “Let’s start! Johnny, truth or dare?”

“Truth.”

“Okay, let’s begin easy. What’s your biggest turn on?”

After hearing her question, I choked on the coffee I was drinking, which burned my throat. “Nope, not answering that.”

“I guess you’re okay with paying for all our coffees then?”

“Fine! Uh, I don’t know. Ear licking.”

“Ear licking? Wow, you’re a real freak,” Rebekah commented.

“Shut up! Okay, I’ll ask Will now. Truth or dare?”

“Truth,” Will responded.

“Have you ever peed in a pool?”

“Ew, no.”

“What the fuck? Are you telling me you’ve never peed in the pool when you were little?”

“No, That’s disgusting. Why, have you?”

“Of course I have!”

“Okay… Can we please not talk about pool peeing?” Xela asked.

“I’ll ask you now then. Xela, truth or dare?” Will asked.

“Dare.”

“Yell out ‘penis’ right now as loud as you can.”

“No! Are you fucking retarded, that’ll get us kicked out of the cafe permanently!”

“It won’t get you arrested though, will it? There aren’t any restrictions on this dare.”

“Still, I am not yelling ‘penis’ out loud in front of like 20 people.”

“You hear that everyone? Looks like Xela’s paying for everyone’s coffee next time,” Will provoked.

“FINE! I’ll do it.”

On the top of her lungs, Xela yelled ‘penis’ as loud as she could and grabbed everyone in the building’s attention. Mostly everyone started bursting into laughter, but some just gave her an unimpressed and disgusted look. It was so loud that it brought the manager out to have a little talk with us. I reasoned to him that Xela had Tourettes which only kicked in every few hours and she randomly has urges to scream out inappropriate words like that. He believed us and let us off with a warning, but next time he sees us cause any trouble we’ll be kicked out permanently.

After calming down from all the laughter, we resumed the game and it was Xela’s turn to ask Rebekah.

“Truth or dare?” Xela asked, still half-embarrassed and half-annoyed.

“Truth.”

“Let’s see…. How about your first crush.”

“That man over there,” Rebekah responded, pointing to me.

Once again, I choked on my coffee because of her answer, causing my throat to burn for the second time today.

“Don’t worry though, he’s all yours. That was a long time ago,” Rebekah assured.

“Moving on…” I said trying to avoid any awkward tension from starting. “I’ll pick dare. Rebekah, give me a dare now.”

“Alright, you see that girl over there?” she said, pointing to a barista behind the counter. She looked around the same age as us and was pretty attractive as far as I could tell.

“Yeah.”

“Try picking her up while we listen in on Skype.”

“NO FUCKING WAY!”

“Yay, free coffee for me then!”

“FINE!” I agreed reluctantly.

Rebekah set up the group call with everyone, and I hid my phone in my pocket. I got in line and was trying to come up with some pickup lines I could throw at her. When I got to the front of the line, it was finally my turn to order.

“Hey, what can I get you today?” she asked.

“Uh, can I get a latte with extra sugar cuz you’re looking extra sweet tonight hun!”

OH MY FUCKING GOD! Did I really just say that? I didn’t even have to turn my head to know the three of them were laughing their asses off at their table.

“Are you.... hitting on me?” she asked with a smile on her face.

“Maybe,” I said, already embarrassed.

“I’m working right now, but maybe we can talk after my shift is over?”

WHAT THE FUCK? That pick up line actually worked??? Not good, I didn’t intend on actually trying to get this girl.

“Oh sorry, I don’t think I can talk after. I’m kind of in a hurry right now. Maybe we can talk another time if we coincidentally run into each other again?”

“That’s a shame. Hopefully, we’ll meet again then,” she said as she was getting my coffee ready, and still smiling.

I awkwardly took the coffee from her hand and began walking back to our table.

“Does anyone want a latte with extra sugar?” I joked.

“You deserve it, playboy,” Will said.

“Shut up.”

“Has anybody told you how bad you are at pick up lines?” Xela asked.

“No.”

“Well, you’re terrible.”

“I know.”

“Let’s continue on,” Rebekah said.

“Right. Okay, Will, truth or dare?” I asked

“Truth.”

“What’s your guilty pleasure.”

“Wanking.”

“......”

“......”

“.....”

All of us just sat in silence after Will answered the question. Rebekah and Xela were trying their best to hold in their laughs while Will was sitting there, clueless about what was going on. To be honest, I was on the verge of laughing, myself.

After we all got ourselves sorted out, it was Will’s turn to ask Xela.

“Truth or dare?”

“Truth” Xela chose.

“Do you like Johnny?”

THAT MOTHERFUCKER! They planned this whole thing out just to ask her this question, didn’t they? I should’ve known something was up the moment they asked to play this game.

“You don’t have to answer,” I told her.

“No, it’s okay Johnny. No. The answer is no, I don’t like Johnny.” She managed to stay extremely calm while saying it.

“Are you telling the truth?” Will asked.

“Yes.”

“Okay fine, let’s go to the next question then.”

On my next turn, I intentionally lost to stop other nonsense from happening. That was too close a call, but luckily Xela has a brain.

Advertisement
Remove
A note from PLAYPRETEND

What's your guilty pleasure?


About the author

PLAYPRETEND

  • Canada

Bio: hey

Achievements
Comments(12)
Log in to comment
Log In

Jockster ago

This MC is really getting on my nerves.

Zedred ago

Thanks for the chap and the pickup line young master!

RemonJaov ago

This is my guilty pleasure

VillagerF ago

Man, I feel bad for being so late, but thanks for another fun chapter! I ended up getting sick so I haven't really been doing much of anything, and now I have to catch up on all the novels I follow.

Don't really have too many complaints this time around, other than that this chapter seemed a bit shorter than usual. I like that Xela is back and bantering with Johnny, but what I'm really looking forward to seeing is some good ol' fluff. Bring on the fluff!

[Insert obligatory past-present tense reminder here]

And of course, my guilty pleasure is reading trashy novels/webnovels. (Honestly I've read way too many. It's a serious problem.)

See you again next week, hopefully within a couple hours of your release instead of a couple days.

    VillagerF ago

    As a quick afterthought: just went to review this story, because I had forgotten to do that already. I was about to type the name of the story, I Help My Friend Get Together with the Girl I Used to Like, and realized that it was super painful to type out, so I just stuck with "this story".

    It's like the title of a light novel, all you're missing is those ~Tilde~. If that was what you were going for then good on you, because that's what it feels like to me.

    If that wasn't your intention, then you might want to put a bit of thought into a different title. I know how hard coming up with a name for something is, so it's really just a suggestion. It's just that I Help My Friend Get Together with the Girl I Used to Like doesn't really roll off the tongue. Also, "helping his friend get together with the girl he used to like" is really only the first five or six chapters, and the story veers off into Johnny and Xela's relationship much more after that.

    Something like Another Cheesy Rom-Com, A Couple Extroverted Introverts, or Goddamnit, Kiss Already, something like that. I don't really know: it took me ten minutes of staring blankly at my screen to come up with those, and they're just about as shit as you'd expect.

    Looking back, this "quick afterthought" ended up taking me twenty minutes, so I'm just going to end it here.

      PLAYPRETEND ago

      Hello again, and thanks for the comment as always and the review you left. As for the title, it was just made just as brainlessly as the whole story is written and I was just too lazy to think of anything else. I wasn't really going for a light novel sorta title, in fact, the words light novel make me want to kill myself. I tried writing something like that once and OH MY GOD WAS IT BAD. Back on track, when first writing the story, I intended to focus more on all the helping and setting up and everything, but obviously, not everything went to plan and I kinda screwed up and I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. Thanks for your feedback once again, even if its something as useless as my title.

      VillagerF ago

      I think that's a common problem that lots of stories on RoyalRoadL have: somebody starts writing a story for the lolz, with no planning or forethought, just putting down whatever comes to mind. All of a sudden the author realizes that people are actually reading and enjoying the stuff they're randomly coming up with, and when they want to write more they find that they're having a hard time with pacing and character development and the like. At this point the author usually does one of three things: restarts the whole thing after planning it out, stops because they aren't satisfied with what they've written, or ignores the problems and just keeps writing.

      Even though ignoring the problems isn't great, I honestly hope you continue writing this, even with its problems. Like I said in my review, I don't really feel that this is a superb story to trump all stories, but it has its quirks which I enjoy. I'm not sure if you're still writing free-form or if you have a plan for where this is going (it doesn't really feel like you do, but oh well), but I really hope that you continue this until the end.

Stizzy ago

Guilty pleasures, hmm...? Definitely anal porn... Ah, shit! Did I just type that out?! itreallywasntintentionalpleasebelievemedad!

Log in to comment
Log In