Advertisement
Remove
If you find mistakes, pls tell, thx. I don't like mistakes.
###############################################################



….



It is the end of my second school year and my project is developing quite fast. I took full advantage of this world's building capacities.

By now I also know why Margiere is so interested in levitation. It's actually quite simple. The people of this world are using magic devices for almost all aspects of work.

There are no cranes on construction sites. Instead everything is just levitated into the proper place. There is almost no use of electricity. Something I wish to change as soon as possible.

The heavy use of magic devices is a serious factor in their resource problems. I will have to replace most magic devices by something that relies on pure science.

But for now I am playing around with a magic device for myself. It's a wristband with the newest state of the art technology. I call it an assistant casting device. You can put it on and then it taps into your mana pool.

By recording one of your spells, you can set it now to activate the recorded spell on a pre-set condition. For example you could record a healing spell and activate it on the condition of being wounded.

Pretty convenient if you ask me.

I have many other projects, but I made this one my first priority in order to raise the fighting force of my facility's security. Imagine a trained guard to being able to cast healing, beside being an idiot, who never even looked into healing arts before.

Yes. That's right you can record a spell and then give the device to someone else. He can cast your spell through the device, despite of having no idea how the spell works.
And that is the main reason for this invention!

Mwahaha! And I will use it to record the stupid raccoon geezers ability! The cheat will be mine! I will be an immortal cheat character too!

Right now I am standing before Tongord and the lesson is about to start. Everyone is here, though Sven, Gabriel, Sandra and Iris have already started to train.

“Teacher Tongord? Could you please put this on and activate your regeneration ability once?” -Me

“What's that?” Tongord asks with a suspicious look.

“A spell recorder. Something I am developing. Nothing can happen, I have it already tested by myself.” -Me

“Hmm.” Tongord puts it on and activates his ability. Then he takes it off and gives it back. “Here.”

I take the wristband. Hahaha! Now I ….  HUH!? Nothing is recorded?

“Hmmm, that's strange. I thought I had made no mistakes.” I talk to myself.

“Nyahaha! Angrod is too smart for his own good! Tongord's regeneration is an innate ability and not a spell. He doesn't need to generate a magic formation which could be recorded. So it is obvious that there is nothing your device could record.” Tanja shoots at me from the side and my mind freezes.

“AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!” I scream. How could I make such a basic mistake! All my work for nothing. I don't even need such a useless device because I can insta cast everything I need anyway. Ugh.

I fall to my knees and drown in self-pity. Haah, no choice here. I can just as well throw the thing to the dogs.

“Celes? I know its late but I have a present for you.” -Me

“Huh? Huh? A present? For me?! From you!?” Celes is shocked.

I put the wristband onto Celes hand who is standing beside me. “There is shield magic and healing magic recorded inside this, all you have to do is to pour your mana into the device and think either “heal” or “shield” for it to activate.”

“Oh? Uh? Could it be that you made this especially for me, because I am so bad with magic spells?” Celes suddenly starts to cry.

“Ahem....” No? Why would you interpret it that way?

“Oooh! Angrod, you really still have feelings for me after all. I had almost given up hope after you didn't show me those blueprints! But they were my present and you didn't want me to see them in advance! And even going to your knees for this, it is almost like getting a wedding ring! Thank you!” Celes gives me a big hug.

This narrative has been purloined without the author's approval. Report any appearances on Amazon.


Huh!? What? I don't get it! I... How can my actions be misunderstood like this?

“Tanja let's test this immediately!”

Celes and Tanja run off to do a training match. NOOO! Let me explain!

That leaves just me and Tongord here. Wait a moment! Jus...

“I guess I will give you a hand then!” Tongord rolls up his sleeves and grins at me.

…....


***



It is evening when we come home and find our parents with grave expressions in the throne room. The little Iris is standing in front of them and looks even more frightened than she normally is around Celes.

“What is going on here?” Celes asks and they turn around.

“Ah, you are coming exactly at the right moment for the latest news.” -Arthur

“The house of Meltheim and the house of Tulhelm together with some smaller houses in their vicinity have declared independence. The entire north is in rebellion.” -Ireth

Well, fuck....

“Now we know why the house of Meltheim completely retreated from Midhold. Taking all their staff with them and closing down their residence.” -Nicol

“The only question we have, is why this one is still here. We send a few guards to the Tulhelm residence to fetch them. But they reported that it was completely abandoned with only a small part still in shape. Apparently Iris has lived there alone for quite some time, while only a skeleton-crew of employees kept the outward appearance.” -Katrine

Oh, that's actually quite the story. I scratch my head and try to think about the implications.

“So what do you have to say for yourself? Nicol asks Iris who seems quite pale by now.

“Where.... where should I start?” She asks.

“Starting at the beginning is always the best.” Arthur urges her on.

“I.. I was never that much in politics. But one day my parents started to command me to suck up to Angrod. They wanted me to cause an incident at the introduction party, but I refused. I hate their way of doing things.

It made them mad like hell and then this whole duel-incident with Sarda and Senda happened. I think they were instructed in similar ways. Only in their case, they didn't refuse.

When my parents got really nasty, I tried it at the school with all my might. But Celes gave me a beating. I was too afraid to go near Angrod again. Then one day my parents told me not to go to school.

I refused again because I hate their games. And then that terrorist attack happened and the terrorists tried to abduct me. I tried to resist them, but failed. Then I got saved by Angrod. I am sorry for not thanking you, but I was afraid.” -Iris

She takes a frightened look at Celes.

“And... and when I came home that day, I found the whole residence abandoned. And one of the employees told me that they were just instructed to keep the garden intact.

In my room I found a letter from my mother, telling me that I am a disgrace and that I can stay in the residence until I am done with school. And if I would tell anyone, they would send assassins after me.”

Iris has now tears in her eyes and is really trembling. Wow... though. Isn't it strange for someone her age to give such a thought out explanation?

On the other hand, she had more than enough time to think about her words, if a situation like this should come to be.

If that is all true it's quite the heavy stuff. For parent to do that to her own child that mother should actually be shot on the spot. There is a heavy silence in the room.

“Angrod?” -Celes

“Hmmm?” -Me

“I need some nukes!” -Celes

“How big?” I grin. Unfortunately I am just kidding. This world doesn't have any production of nuclear fuel. Building it up would require quite some time.


But what should we really do in this case. Unfortunately I have no idea.
Advertisement
Remove

About the author

Andur

  • Phantasm

Bio:

Achievements
Comments(26)
Log in to comment
Log In

Log in to comment
Log In