RE: What is mature?

I didn't remember putting.

Explicit sexual content, descriptive sex scene/s
beastiality.
sexual intercourse.
mature images

But my story got rejected with this notice. Is the review process being automated, or maybe the reviewer just didn't understand the contents of my story. But well, let's just put it on some other place.

Re: What is mature?

Caveat - I am not arguing for a change in the rules, just pointing out some things.

A blanket 18 for characters is based on the so-called age of adulthood.

Age of Consent (worldwide) 

Age of Marriage (worldwide and by religion)

Not that many years ago a 13 yo schoolmate got pregnant by her 17 yo boyfriend. They had to wait until she was 14 for the wedding. The laws have since changed to 18, or 16 with permission.

Historically, marriages at 12/13 were relatively common. Being unmarried at 18 was nearing spinsterhood. Writing a truly period piece might be difficult, for instance, if one were to write about Ancient Egypt, where a Pharaoh would marry his sister at age 13, it would be totally banned.

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] The human brain stops growing at around 25 years of age, while the age of consent if what a government has decided is a sufficiently mature brain. Pedophilia has nothing to do with exact ages, but puberty. When someone who has finished puberty is attracted to someone who hasn’t we call that pedophilia. Pedophilia is not two consenting minors having sex, nor is it a minor having consensual sex with a fully grown person (it is still illegal and is called statutory rape). [/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] [/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] These rules are in place because of how vulnerable developing brains are, you can get them to do whatever you want them to  and think it is the right think to do. This ties in with parenthood and why invest is illegal. Also pedophilia can kill the underaged partner if the sex is too rough, and pregnancies born of incest have a much higher risk for just about every deformity there is.[/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] One last thing to keep in mind is most publishers and sites do not want to put their name behind incredibly gruesome or explicit content, and Royal Road lets you post just about anything you want including stories containing pedophilia. The fact they won’t allow images of sex on their site is rather secondary to that and it is a place for words not images.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] The human brain stops growing at around 25 years of age, while the age of consent if what a government has decided is a sufficiently mature brain. Pedophilia has nothing to do with exact ages, but puberty. When someone who has finished puberty is attracted to someone who hasn’t we call that pedophilia. Pedophilia is not two consenting minors having sex, nor is it a minor having consensual sex with a fully grown person (it is still illegal and is called statutory rape). [/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] These rules are in place because of how vulnerable developing brains are, you can get them to do whatever you want them to  and think it is the right think to do. This ties in with parenthood and why invest is illegal. Also pedophilia can kill the underaged partner if the sex is too rough, and pregnancies born of incest have a much higher risk for just about every deformity there is.[/font][/font]
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] One last thing to keep in mind is most publishers and sites do not want to put their name behind incredibly gruesome or explicit content, and Royal Road lets you post just about anything you want including stories containing pedophilia. The fact they won’t allow images of sex on their site is rather secondary to that and it is a place for words not images.[/font][/font]

Oh, I am not disputing that.
In the Ancient Egypt example I used, later pharaohs often had genetic deformities. The brain not fully developing and the surge of 'new' hormones is a contributing factor to 'teenage rebellion'.

All I was trying to bring out was that a single hard age doesn't apply universally. Especially in the case of Fantasy and Historical works. By 17 Pachacuti already had a child and was well on his way to forming the Incan Empire. In a harsher world, and one with radically shorter life spans, 18 might be middleaged, 25 close to old when few lived beyond 35.

This only goes back to 1950 but gives an idea what ages applied then and the changes in the last 70 years.
https%3a%2f%2fupload.wikimedia.org%2fwikipedia%2fc...0-2050.png

"Life expectancy" is always heavily skewed by infant mortality. That is to say that even in pre-modern eras the life expectancy of a man or woman who has already reached adulthood isn't too dissimilar from more modern numbers. But it's sort of academic because the rules on this site are obviously laid down with respect to contemporary sensibilities and laws.

Re: What is mature?

Quote:Being unmarried at 18 was nearing spinsterhood. Writing a truly period piece might be difficult, for instance, if one were to write about Ancient Egypt, where a Pharaoh would marry his sister at age 13, it would be totally banned.

It would not. You can have someone marry a 13-year-old. You cannot show them having sex with said minor.
New Reply