Adventure Mode [New Way to Curate / Find Novels]

The Problem

We need more ways to find novels to read. The current system's major strength is promoting constant updates (hence the minimum word/chapter ratio of most successful novels; and the small difference between the days that every update launches), yet this benefits only a select amount of novels that have adapted their writing style to fit constant, short updates.

The Recently Updated system does not need to go, yet it should be only one of the ways through which we find novels without using the forums / Discord.

The Proposed Solution: "Adventures"

"Adventures" are a thematical adaptation of a 'Curators' Club / Collection'. What is that? A 'Curators Club' is a small portal through which an individual can select a few products from a massive list and promote them. The criteria used to discern which products should be promoted on an adventure can vary. Here's a row of examples:

- Peril in a Sea of Tears! (Fictions that will make you cry)

- The best stories come in small flasks! (Best Short Stories)

- An Uncanny Valley (Best Fanfictions)

- Unlikely Heroes (Best anti-hero leads)

- Evil never compensa-- (Best Unhappy Endings)

How should the site host adventures

https%3a%2f%2fi.gyazo.com%2f0ca0f98571ba0041ccbb...06b95d.png

First, a user clicks the 'Adventure' button.

>>> See this:

https%3a%2f%2fi.gyazo.com%2f74351dbb6e38879dd381...97ae32.png

>>> Then, he / she clicks on 'New Adventure' button that will be at a highlighted position on the page.

A list of all novels bookmarked by the User will show up. Having previously bookmarked a novel should be a requisite to add it to any list. It is a minimum show of good faith that the person creating the list reads the material that is being recommended.

User will pick a list of at least 3 fictions to compose the adventure. Every pick should have a comment, per example:

User picks 'Terminal' by God_is_Good: Bring a tissue. Great characters and perfectly written. Seems to update every two weeks.

User picks 'X' by Y Author: Completed short story. Can be read under an hour. 

User picks 'W' by Z Author: an Extremely underrated tale of a couple that has cancer. Completed novel. 

>>> Done!

>>> Creator of the Adventurer now goes to Description Page where he/she will name the adventure, add a straightforward description, add an image and upload it.

>>> A Reader finds the User's new adventure. The reader clicks on it:

List of all novels with the Curator's comments (the adventure creator's comments) will be at the left section of the page.

A 'Thumbs Up' / 'Thumbs Down' button on the bottom. (The plan is for these ratings to work just like 'Top Reviews')

Also, there should be a 'Comment Section' where readers can give opinions about the adventure.

Extra Functions (Unrequired resources that would be cool)

- Progress bar telling how close a reader is to finish an adventure

- Achievements for those who complete the adventures

- Allow subcategories. I may create, per example, a 'Courageous Heroes Adventure'; yet in that adventure, I want Female-lead novels and male-lead novels to be in different categories.

- Collections (Adventures that work like Newgrounds Collections: just a list that is being constantly updated of novels that fit certain criteria)

https%3a%2f%2fvignette.wikia.nocookie.net%2funtu...0316025719

Benefits

+ New dynamic way that RRL will distinguish itself from the competition like Wattpad.

+ Promoting of novels without using the criteria of time

+ Thematical

+ Assists both people wanting to find novels to read AND people wanting to promote their novels / and promote other people's novels. There are many, including the one who is writing this. This has huge demand, just check how crowded the 'Recommended Novels' section of the forums is and how many people browse the 'Stories to watch for' threads. There is vast supply and demand that could be easily helped.

+ Factions (Write, Orcs...) can make their own adventures to help promote their authors' new endeavors

+ Did amazing things for websites that share RRL's system of massive amounts of user-created content. 

RE: Adventure Mode [New Way to Curate / Find Novels]

As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

To me, this looks like an overcomplication of the current review system, which would also require that much more mod work to keep going.

It also sounds distracting to the base philosophy of RRL, which is writing and reading stories.

12/27/2017 6:32:16 PMNecamijat Wrote: [ -> ]As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

To me, this looks like an overcomplication of the current review system, which would also require that much more mod work to keep going.

It also sounds distracting to the base philosophy of RRL, which is writing and reading stories.

Thank you for the reply.

As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

If people only made Popular Adventure - Fantasy - (Add another word) adventures, I'd be sure of it:

https%3a%2f%2fi.gyazo.com%2f7e45e8f9bfbe0238985c...134e48.png

Ranking does not control for the different traits of a novel that different readers will search for (Cool Novels regarding War / Novels that are Cute / Complete Novels that will make you Cry / Novels that remind you of X Anime / Complete Novels that have Harems / Novels that have X, Y, Z things that people ask). Those popular traits in fiction change all the time (according to popular trends, like LitRPG wasn't a thing ten years ago). Active-only ranking is controlled by rating & activity.

If we use similarity as an argument, I could argue against Popular this Week because more than half the titles of its first pages are a replica of Popular Novels. What many people are looking for is exactly an alternative to this.

Doesn't every new feature/change have to be coded in?

Are you one of the coders? I am oblivious to the operational part, so maybe you could give us an insider's insight.

I did not understand this at all. For me, it's a new way to find novels to read. The fun part of this Adventure Mode is that the Adventure itself can even serve as a hook for the promoted stories if they weren't that attractive to readers. Maybe someone never knew that they wanted to read Epic Stories about Siblings, Cool Post-apocalyptic Storiesor If adventures about this get well-rated, the reader might give one of these novels a shot and feel curious about the others.

My bargaining plea
If we can't get a feature like this, then I'd suggest making Popular this Week more in-depth. We can have our usual Adventure / Fantasy suspects which are always on top of any list, but also Popular this Week Horror Novels, Popular this Week Drama Novels, Popular this Week X Genre Novel...

- That's almost what the Search function is when a certain genre filter turned on...

Here are a couple suggestions that people have made to make the search function more interesting:
https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=99193
https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=99183

Popular this Week (Genre) Novel would be cool. It'd not get to the idiosyncrasies of every novel (which I really wanted with Adventure Mode), but it's still a good addition.

Thank you for the time.

12/30/2017 10:41:57 PM Wrote: [ -> ]To me, this looks like an overcomplication of the current review system, which would also require that much more mod work to keep going.

Doesn't every new feature/change have to be coded in?

Are you one of the coders? I am oblivious to the operational part, so maybe you could give us an insider's insight.
Thank you for the time.

I'm not a coder, but I am concerned as to what level of moderation and work there would have to be to keep this going.
Who will have to check the validity of adventures? The mods?
How are adventures going to be kept? Are you putting a system in place to not have multiple thousands of adventures active at once (RRL has well over 10k fictions), supposing users always have an ability to make their own adventure?
Suppose every 4th person (account) makes their own adventure. That's about... 17 thousand adventures. Excellent, we now have a list that's bigger than RRL's fiction list. That is only handled by upvote/downvote systems. The same system which was discarded after 2 days of testing on RRL fictions themselves.
Not to mention, that there'd have to be a system that checks for duplicates of adventures.

On the coding side, I can only assume that introducing an entirely new system for RRL to use will most likely take a huge amount of time, considering that the current WIP features of remaking the increasingly broken forum system, finishing the author premium, and [redacted], have taken enough time as is.

12/30/2017 10:41:57 PM Wrote: [ -> ]As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

If people only made Popular Adventure - Fantasy - (Add another word) adventures, I'd be sure of it:

We had recommendations tested for a few weeks. Guess what, the top stories were present on most of the people's lists.
If we already see that there's an enormous population that searches for the same kind of novels, is it not a fair assumption that any system made to find stories will invariably go towards that population?

12/30/2017 10:41:57 PM Wrote: [ -> ]Here are a couple suggestions that people have made to make the search function more interesting:
https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=99193
https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=99183

I have already provided my input on the very threads you're linking, one of which doesn't actually suggest anything new.

I'm not saying that the system doesn't pose any validity or that it doesn't have any good ideas. It just appears to be an excessive amount of work that will more likely than not produce similar results to what we already have.

I like this proposal a lot, I think it would be really really helpful and completely worth any amount of work it might take. I agree that there might be a lot, and it would take some work to sort out the duplicates and all, but if you manage to find a way to do so, I think this would be amazing.
Media's genre suggestion was also wonderful- I feel like it's always the fantasy books on the top of the list, which, although often very good, are not my usual style of writing.

Add something like "last updated: (select from dropbox) x weeks ago" and a "best rating" (in the "order" dropbox) to the advanced search feature and you will have nearly similar results.

I am not in favor of the proposed changes, because it will make it harder to navigate the website, and, for newcomers, it's already not the most user-friendly website to begin with. There is stuff that should be improved upon before new features will be implemented.

1/14/2018 5:11:06 PMqtru Wrote: [ -> ]Add something like  "last updated:  (select from dropbox) x weeks ago" and a "best rating" (in the "order" dropbox) to the advanced search feature and you will have nearly similar results.

I am not in favor of the proposed changes, because it will make it harder to navigate the website, and, for newcomers, it's already not the most user-friendly website to begin with. There is stuff that should be improved upon before new features will be implemented.

The site seems very straight-forward to me. A new tab is strictly necessary.

Not having the feature won't fill the gap that exists.

https%3a%2f%2fi.gyazo.com%2f347e71d574da0fc9da7d...75e9b9.png
^This should not be normal.

150 people browsing recommendations? Everyday? What recommendations do is somewhat the idea of adventure mode, yet without the image and critic's hooks. The proposal is to give a platform to a demand/supply that already exists. There is a serious need for a new way to find novels.

My hope is that enough people can see this thread and voice in favor of this. Let everyone know that this is important.

Again, what you're assuming is that everyone will be a good critic, with impeccable hooks, a taste towards something uncommon for RRL (ie. not litRPG/Reincarnation/Wuxia), and that the system will be able to handle multiple thousands of user-created content that will probably not be curated by the staff since there are currently 3 supermods.
Putting all that in the hands of tested-to-not-work upvote/downvote system as the sole basis of consideration.

We have already tested user-based recommendations. They pointed towards the Top10 a large portion of the time. We scrapped it because it wasn't giving any noticeable results. People were already getting redirected where they already wanted to go.
We had a group solely oriented towards atypical RRL novels. They were disbanded after way too much drama, most noticeably because a large portion of our userbase didn't like atypical RRL novels and therefore thought of them, to put it bluntly and in a quote, 'elitist'.
As to how much user-friendly the site is, I can safely say that one of the most common questions I'm getting is "when is my fiction going to be approved" even though it's in print just above the submission form and in our FAQ. So there's that for user-friendliness.
New Reply